f4iguy

Feb 17, 2002
I've never been there but thinking of going this weekend. My question is how enforced is the spark arrestor law there? I fully understand the need for a spark arrestor in the forests but the desert??? I just got my CRF and haven't got a spark arrestor for it yet. I am looking at just getting the motobillet one, anyone have any experience with these?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Depends where you hang out, if you ride North of the town, expect alot of people and enforcment. If you ride South of the area, I haven't seen any enforcement at all. If you want to stay clear of the rest of the people, take the road South by the old gas station and go past the Iron Door. You'll go through San Filepe wash and then hit some railroad tracks (about 7 miles). Turn left on the road just prior to the tracks and go down about a mile. Park on the left side of the road and you can ride North from there. Good luck ;)

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Have fun, it's a great place, especially first-trippin' I have NEVER been checked for a sparky or a green sticker, neither of which I have (although my bike's all green :) ) and I used to go every weekend. I just got a little burned out on the place, but I still love it. If you are low-key and courteous, I would expect no problems. ...N

PS, pick up a map at the ranger station on your way in, and try some of the trails way up North, like Arroyo Salada I think it's called, up past Pumpkin Patch. And don't forget to check out the Gas Domes either!

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
Ocotillo Wells is definitely worth a try!, i havent had any problems either.
Hidden Valley camp is pretty nice, it has a little more elbow room than the other two i have been to and it's close to the Blu-Inn, good breakfast/dinners and beer if you run low.
i would be out there this weekend but im on standby at work.

if you dont have a map of the area go here
http://www.desertusa.com/ovr/du_trailmap.html
octwell_map.jpg

you can useally pick one up at the Blu-Inn

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom