Bob Hanna

Jan 14, 2009
My name is Bob Hanna, while racing I lived in Houston, TX and New Orleans, LA, raced mostly in south and central Texas and south LA. I started racing motocross in about 1969 on a DT1 Yamaha, in 1970 raced a CZ 250 and 360. In 1971 picked up a sponsorship on a 400 Husky 4 speed, in 1972 250 & 400 Husky 5 speed. My last year of racing was 1973, when I raced 1/4 of the National events on a 400 Maico. Gunnar Lindstrom, when he managed Team Honda (1973?), nick named me the Original Bob Hanna.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Welcome, Bob!

So how many times did you ask, "Who is this snot nosed kid that's trying to steal my name?"

BTW, I have it on good authority that you now race guns, too.

We needs pics of both, please!

Bob Hanna

Jan 14, 2009
High Lord Gomer said:
Welcome, Bob!

So how many times did you ask, "Who is this snot nosed kid that's trying to steal my name?"

BTW, I have it on good authority that you now race guns, too.

We needs pics of both, please!

It's funny how many times I've met someone and they ask if I used to race motocross. About the time I quit "Bob Hurricane" Hannah was becoming well known, even though there is a different spelling a lot of people have gotten us confused. Steve Wise the Honda great emailed me once to be on a motocross radio show thinking I was what my sister calls the "other" Bob Hannah.

My sister, Cece, was a score keeper at many nationals back in the days when "Light Brown" was the National Referee. She also finished 3rd or 4th at the first womens nationals on a 125 Penton. My Brother Fred was a much better rider than I was, he finished 5th at his first National at Talledega.

Bob Hanna

Jan 14, 2009
High Lord Gomer said:
Do you still do any trials riding?

I restored a yamaha 360 Trials before I started competitive shooting again, just road it for fun. I have not competed on any kind of motocycle in 30 plus years.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The moderator here that wanders around without pants also lives in the Austin area and rides his trials bike some. Of course, it does have training wheels and an alarm clock to wake him when he goes too slow...

hilander

Feb 1, 2011
An Older rider

Mr Hanna

You were one of my heros from the old days. I met you in Denver at the track. I always liked the way you lifted your hand to say thanks when a rider let you go around them. I have always tried to follow your lead, by saying thanks when I pass somebody going slower than I am. Which is unusual as I am pretty slow.
I always liked the way you treated the young kids that asked silly questions. Those questions weren't silly to them.You treated them with respect, that some others did not.

Bob Hanna

Jan 14, 2009
mxchickalltheway said:
can you help me get in contact with cece please. thank you

heather majcherek

Heather,

I have not been on this site in a long time. Sorry I had not seen your post. If you are still trying to find Cece, her email is cthomps@windstream.net

You might be interested in this as well, Rio Bravo and Houston MX history.

Google Old School MX reunion

Bob

Bob Hanna

Jan 14, 2009
hilander said:
Mr Hanna

You were one of my heros from the old days. I met you in Denver at the track. I always liked the way you lifted your hand to say thanks when a rider let you go around them. I have always tried to follow your lead, by saying thanks when I pass somebody going slower than I am. Which is unusual as I am pretty slow.
I always liked the way you treated the young kids that asked silly questions. Those questions weren't silly to them.You treated them with respect, that some others did not.

You likely have me confused with Bob "Hurricane" Hannah. Around 1972, I quit racing, would have been National # 72, if I remember correctly. Not quite in the same league as Hurricane. I have often been confused with him.

The "Original" Bob Hanna.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Welcome yet another, Old Bob the racer! I never made it to pro, but I got my itch, firmly seeded inside me, and am just starting to get back into it again, for myself. Trusting my oldest son for wrenching? I am going to take care of that also! To see my 1st grandsons eyes lite up, when he sees the bike, and has the itch also! At a little over 2, he has got to get through doing donuts, on his battery quad first! Just Bob

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Hi Bob!

My 13 year old just shot his first (I say that like I expect more) 100% classifier today! (It is one of the new ones so I'm sure the HHF will go up)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Only a small percentage of people are daring enough to ride dirtbikes.

Of those, only a small percentage have enough courage to actually race.

Of those, not many ever make it to B class.

You are a rare person. Not quite as rare as either of the Bob Hannahs or the 89Rs, but still rare to make it that far.

Top Bottom