one more KX65 piston picture: lean condition?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
This picture shows the bottom side of the piston out of my sons 2000 KX65. Notice the black spot. I believe this indicates a lean condition. Where should I fatten up the jetting? The way the motor sounded, I was thinking about raising the clip one position to clean it up a bit. But this pic has me thinking to richen things up. Maybe one size up on the main? Please advise. This is the original piston and I think the original jetting. Just bough the bike used but it looks pretty much untouched in terms of any tuning.

Attachments

• mvc-002s.jpg
    mvc-002s.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 341

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I can see the spot now.

Attachments

• 65piston.jpg
    65piston.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 296

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I have had spots like that on the underside of the pistons on just about every bike i've torn down. I think the size and color of the spot would be a better indication of jetting.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Considering the photo on the other post, Lots of time is on that piston. One time run that overheated the bike could have made that spot and had nothing to do with jetting.

Check the rod (big end), Hone/deglaze that cylinder, recheck cylinder condition, put in a good replacement piston/pin/bearing, run good oil/fuel combo with a new clean air filter and plug. Run it/break it in ( do a couple cool down cycles. Then let junior run it around. Change the plug again and go do a WOT plug test and check the jetting. That way you can set your main on a fresh piston. You may find that you need leaner since the fuel is burning under the proper compression or you may need to go richer..... I would not use that worn piston as the final guide to a base line jetting.

good luck

Top Bottom