Opinions on 03 250 EXC (2 stroke)

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Any 03 owners out there? How are you liking the bike? I just sold my 02 400EXC and my 01 200EXC and am leaning towards buying a 03 250 EXC as a new bike. I loved my 400 but after riding the 200, I really noticed the weight of the 400. The 200, although light, just doesnt have enough motor for me. I know they are fast in the right hands, but I am a pretty lazy rider and like to lug the motor and found that I was in the wrong gear most of the time with the 200.

Was there a big difference in handling with the new tank and forks? What kind of range are you getting out of a tank of fuel? What about things like gearing? I appreciate any info you can share as I am not sure now whether to buy the 250 or just get a 450.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
My opinion

I have a ’03 250 2 smoke. I bought it from Lansing Cycle on 8-15-02 and I now have 728 miles on it. I came off a highly modified KDX 220, which had great suspension and an easy to ride motor. The KTM is just no match IMHO, it is far better. I think KTM made some real impactful changes to the ’03 bikes this year in the suspension – those forks are quite impressive and the shock is great bone stock with a few clicker adjustments. I had Enduro Engineering revalve the forks for me and I love them. The motor will lug or rip –it’s easy to use and has all that you can ask for I think. I love how I can just chug up hills now and even upshift where that was not possible before. I can see how many riders can win overalls on this bike as it’s a very good combination of power, speed, suspension and is still light enough to throw around in the tight stuff. I cannot tell you how it compares to a 450 other than it won’t have nearly the overall top speed of the 450 but it is lighter. I never had a 250 before I always rode 200’s and most recently the 220 KAW –but the 250 power plant seems very healthy yet not intimidating either. The 250 will be much less expensive than a 450 if that makes any difference. Probably you will be happy with either bike with a nod to the 250 if weight matters much at all.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Stock gearing is 14/52 and I think it's fine. I will run that again when I replace the chain and sprockets when they wear out.

greeneb

Jan 15, 2000
Yep, it's 14/52 just like always... and I agree I like it pretty well. First is a little tall for the really, really tight stuff, but still not too bad.

BTW, Fred how is your fuel mileage??? The manual is confusing... does the 03 250E have a 2.3 or 2.9 gallon tank?? (I just haven't taken the time to figure it out.. :) ) I seem to have good range so it really doesn't matter I guess.. :)

Eric

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I've never checked either. I assumed that it was 2.9 gal

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
riding buddies both have '02 250exc's. They can get up to 70 miles on their 3.2's.
One of the buddies ran the Check ISDE this year on an '03 250exc. Says the tank is smaller, just under 3.0 gal. He said the '03 was better than his '02. KTM is shipping his new '03 this month, so I should get to ride it mid month.
Another buddy has a '03 200exc, replacing his '02 200mxc. He's really happy too.

Only problem is fork dust and seals are not avail yet for the new big forks. Apparently the fork seals are different than the '02 SX forks

Hopefully my '03 250exc will be here soon.
Anybody want a '02 380exc, street legal, ridden by old guy on Sundays??

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey tn thumper, i was thinking about putting the '03 tank & shrouds & seat on my '01 300, too. if you don't mind saying, what is the tab for that? you think the switch is worth it?

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
It was $315 total. :eek: The tank $177/shrouds $52/seat $85.I got the tank/shrouds from www.ktm-parts.com and I got the SX high seat from H&H.If you decide to go with this you'll need to get a longer fuel line and remove the radiator spacers.

As for the feel,I find it MUCH easier to get forward with this combo.I always had to really work at getting forward with the 01 seat/tank combo.IMO the bike corners much better now.Plus,this seat is nice and hard,but its not a brick like the 01 seat.Here are the parts #'s in case anyone is interested.

'03 11L orange-5030711310044
'01 SX shroud orange left-5030815000004
'01 SX shroud orange right-5030815100004

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
thanks! i'm on the phone with my parts guy now, to see how close he can get to those prices. see you at the next vsta ride.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
just ordered the stuff. my only regret is that i really like the end. eng. tall superhard seat foam, but they don't have it for this 1. had to settle for the tall hard. thanks for the favor, tn thumper! next time i'm at a tn ride & see another '01 300 with an '03 tank, i'll thank you in person.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
well, be careful, there IS a 9-liter tank, ktm sent me 1 instead of the 11-liter 1. 9 liters is 2.376 gal. 11 liters is 2.904. the difference, .528 gallons, can be a good bit of range, depending on the bike, so i'll be sending this 1 back.

madkormos

Nov 23, 2002
I have a 02 300exc,my first ktm,I bought it 11 23 02 (left over) I put 40 miles on it the next day.I am in love with it.
will the 03 sx high seat fit? how much taller is it? is it any softer?how do i get in touch with h&h?
thanks
Dan

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
got the correct tank, installed it with the seat & shrouds & went for a ride. it's awesome! the narrower tank & shrouds are a nice difference; the bike is much easier to scoot around on. i got the end. eng. complete seat (cheaper than foam + cover), has an sdg sticker on the bottom but the e.e. logo on the cover. it is the tall firm, & it is tall & firm. i was afraid that i'd miss my beloved old tall superhard, but this 1 is at least as hard & it's so much narrower that there is no problem with it being too soft (i hate soft foams). this 1 is like sitting on a rail. so, to answer madkormos' questions, it is about 1" taller in the middle, maybe a little more, a noticeable difference. it is no softer than the stocker, maybe harder (but will probably soften up in the fullness of time). if the stocker feels too hard, DO NOT get the sdg tall firm. the '03 seat won't fit with your tank & shrouds, you'll have to switch it all or none. i got the tank & shrouds from my friendly local dealer & the seat from e.e.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i don't think so, the shape of the base is very different from the base on the pre-'03 exc seat. the '03 exc's use the same seat as the sx's. next time i have the new tank off the bike, i'll mount up the old tank & see for sure if the new seat will fit it, but it doesn't look like it will.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Lawman;
Are there 2 different tanks for 03? My 250 exc 2 stroke is due to arrive next week and the ktm website lists it as a 9 litre tank.
Lew

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
mad: you're welcome!

lew: yours should come with the bigger tank, but there IS a smaller 1, see my post a few posts back. my guess (only a guess) is that ktm planned to go with the smaller, then somebody convinced them that it would be too small for the 250/300 on any sort of long ride. so both are floating around & the website spec sheet lists the smaller 1.

Top Bottom