Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
As I was going thread to thread thinking of all the people I needed to say a thank you to I decided it would be easier to put it all into one thread. This is going to be a very long read so I'll apologize for that in advance.

I'll start at the head of the class with Okie and his family. I can't thank you folks enough for holding this event and for all the hard work you put into this event in advance and during the actual event.

On Monday Troy busted a clutch plate on his bike and a broken piece made it's way into the tranny locking it tight. After crawling through the pits looking for help, Zoomer offered to help me split the cases if I could get the gaskets etc, although he did say he couldn't guarantee we'd get it back together :yikes: :laugh: . I figured that's about our best bet other than me surrendering my bike to Troy for the week. It took me approx. 11 seconds to find a truck to borrow (thanks Kav) and we were off to town in search of gaskets. When the local zuki dealer didn't have any he suggested I try MARSHALL'S RACING . I headed over to Marshall's and not only does he have every part I could possibly need but he is willing to fix the bike ASAP. I race back out to Cooperland pull the engine out of the bike and head back to town. Marshall Plumb then proceeds to tear the engine down in front of me and verifying he has each part needed to put it back together. Long story slightly shorter he got the engine at 4pm Monday, I picked it up at 11am Tuesday with all necessary bearings and seals replaced as well as a new inner basket a used twice outer basket and new plates. Now here is a business man who had me over a barrel I wanted that bike fixed and fast and had no other options, gonna pay a premium right? Well Marshall felt bad that our trip was off to such a poor start so he cut his normal shop rate by 35%, gave me the parts at his cost and didn't feel right charging me for the "used" outer basket. Char and I stopped by Marshall's on Monday as I was looking for some Ogio bags and figured he might know if anyone stocked them locally. After he found out why I was still in town he commented that maybe he'd stop by and visit Troy since he was in a strange town with no visitors. Sure as shooting that evening Marshall and Travis from his shop as well as another young guy from the shop stop by for a quick visit to try to cheer Troy up. I can't say enough about this guy or the work he did for us!

Flaggers, I'd like to thank every person who took the time to flag a shift during the week.

Dr. Mike and Dr. Steve, I'd like to thank you both for your assistance with Troy while we waited for the ambulance. Having you there helped calm and reassure Charlene and myself during a very stressful time.

Patman, thank you for starting a collection to replace Troy's gear. Will Pattison thank you for agreeing to replace that gear!

To all the folks who helped out on the track while we waited for the ambulance I can't say thank you enough. As I said during the awards ceremony I know i'll miss folks that were out there because we we pretty shook up but I do recall Patman, Grady, rv6junkie and a host of others ready to jump and take on any task to make the situation better. Thump you were great in talking to Troy and keeping his mind off the pain and I appreciate all your concern, I can say with complete confidence you are going to make a great father.

Billy, thanks for taking care of the brace for us it is greatly appreciated.

Squeaky, thanks for the hug when I got back from the hospital Friday night. I'm not really a touchy feely kinda guy and I never said anything at the time but that hug was perfectly timed and needed.

oldguy, thanks for the use of the truck and the support, we need to come up with excuses to get together more than once a year my friend. thekid and Luke, thanks for helping put some of the stuff in our pit away for me while I was at the hospital.

Crispy, Thanks for taking time out of the incredibly busy schedule you folks run on to come to the hospital and check on Troy.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to Patman's collection, that money made our extra few days in Stillwater easier, helping cover the cost of some meals and a rental car.

I'd also like to thank Kris Brown, I drove back out to Cooperland on Monday as Troy wanted to get a beanie and a hat. After selecting the item's I wanted Kris and I chitchatted a bit and then I tried to square up. Kris refused to accept any money for the hat and beanie telling me he hoped that might make Troy smile a bit.

I can't say enough about the staff at the Stillwater Medical Center but this thread is already long enough so I'll do that in a letter to the administration of the facility.

To each and every one of you who asked about Troy or sent well wishes I thank you. Charlene was blown away by all you folks and is now getting a different perspective of "that web site" where I spend most of my time.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'm sure that others are going to say the same thing, but it was really nothing, and I'd do it again if needed (let's hope not though ;) ). :) I'm glad that you and Troy got some good riding time in and hope to see you all there next year.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It was a pleasure to meet you guys Chili and hope to see you again next year. It's families like yours that make DW what it is.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Chili, I'm glad to hear that you and your family made it home OK. When I saw you ride up to the crash scene, my heart just sank. I could imagine what you were going through but wanted to do everything I could do to help you and Troy. I wish I could have done more. Luckily for Troy there were experts around him in seconds. I hope we all get to talk and laugh about this next year at DirtWeek. After all, DirtWeek isn’t about bikes, tracks and riding, it’s about people.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Chili I'm just glad everything is working out given the situation. Troy sure hung tough through it all as did you and Charlene and I'm not sure I would have faired as well in either of your shoes.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Chili...I'm glad I could help cheer you up even the slightest bit. Friday when the accident happened I had rounded up PK and we were going to take a lap or two on the track before group photo time. As we made our way over to the track we noticed a large group of people standing around. My mom was flagging and all she knew was that someone crashed, probably a broken leg, and that the track is closed. I ran into Eric (thekid) and asked him who it was. When he ever told me it was Troy my heart just sank, I couldn't believe it. First his bike earlier in the week and now his leg. I felt terrible and wanted to help, but I knew the best way for me to help would be to stay out of the way and let the doctors work. Get well wishes and good thoughts are with you, Char, and Troy. I hope everything turns out for the best and I hope to see you guys next year!

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
:cool:
Glad you made it back and all are safe and sound!
Knowing what happen last year, and to see troy on the ground there, after all the time he has waited to finally get to dirt week, well, it put a lump in my throat!

Hope (your) "mom & dad" are handling it ok also.
To next year! :yeehaw: :ride:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
rv6junkie said:
I hope we all get to talk and laugh about this next year at DirtWeek. After all, DirtWeek isn’t about bikes, tracks and riding, it’s about people.

Major ditto!

Chili:

It was great to get to meet you, Charlene and Troy. Troy is a fine young man and a true credit to his parents.

Give Troy and Charlene our best, and we look forward to seeing everyone at DirtWeek '05.

drdupre

Sep 17, 2002
Amen,

It was great to meet you Chili, Charlene and Troy. Its a terrible thing to happen to such great people. I can only say how much of an joy it is to be around such great people. And as everyone has said before, none of us felt like we could do enough.

Here's hoping to see you all next year. Hopefully Troy, you and I can bang some bars on the track and let me introduce yall to the "woods".
Dr. Mike

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
I never had the pleasure of formally meeting Lazyboy, but I really enjoyed watching him ride!! He had a style and grace that only a person with a true passion for riding has. I hope he is healing quickly.

I hope you know that you have a family of several hundred that want to see you all next year, riding or not. All three of you made DW a better experience, and it was a pleasure to meet you. Stay strong, and if there is anything we can do, please let us know!!! Troy - heal up fast.

Chris

LazyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2003
Hey everybody just got up stairs for the first time and was able to cruise around the forums and man you do not know how good it made me feel when I saw all these threads with people giving me there blessings and I would really like to thank you all for that. Okie and family thank yo so much for organizing DirtWeek and even though for me it was a little rough in spots it was still probably the most fun I had ever had, so thanks for making my first DW a great one.
Next I would really like to thank Dr. Mike and Dr. Steve for there comfort and help on the scene of the accident and take it from a guy that has done this before it is so much better to have soomeone like that there its just reassuring. Thump if I caught you off guard on the track I was only joking about the fitty. :laugh:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Troy, I'm glad they got you back together again and you're home safe. I'm sure everything probably seems a little foggy but you & I had just finished talking in the pits right before your accident. All I had time to do was a bathroom run, get my helmet and bike when I saw the ambulance come in. I was on my way up the hill for the picture when they told me you had gone down. I parked my bike and walked down the hill to offer help, they had already started the I.V. by the time I got there.
They had already cut off one knee brace and were about to cut the boot off when I got there. I asked them not to cut the boot and said I could get it off just as easily without tearing it up so they let me. I took over holding the IV bag for Dr Mike so he could help the paramedics and that's when I remember telling you that I told you to be careful "but NO, you didn't listen". You grinned real big. I don't remember what I said next but you almost laughed, even though I knew you were hurting. When thay put your leg in traction, it was a sight not to be seen. I can't imagine what it felt like but from where I was standing, I don't want to experience it anytime soon. Mike told me your heart rate was around 80bpm the entire time and that you were one tuff dude. Mine would have been at least 180. :yikes:

I'm sorry you missed the rest of DW this year and didn't get to race Saturday but at least you made it there this year, that's better than last year, aye?
I enjoyed meeting you and your parents and hope I get to see you next year. Take care buddy.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Jeff Gilbert said:
They had already cut off one knee brace and were about to cut the boot off when I got there. I asked them not to cut the boot and said I could get it off just as easily without tearing it up so they let me. I took over holding the IV bag for Dr Mike so he could help the paramedics

There's the perfect example of people who were there that slipped my mind due to all the stress/confusion. Once I read your post it was clear as a bell you holding that IV bag etc. Thanks Jeff :thumb:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Troy,

I'm glad you are feeling better...but then again, you've "been there - done that".

I know you don't remember this, but everyone waited around the crash scene until you were on the way to the hospital...we didn't want to leave our fallen brother.

It's always hard to watch some one go down, but especially you because we all knew what you went through last year and it broke our hearts to see you go through it yet again.

Heal fast and heal well and we'll see you at the starting gate soon. :cool:

shiftless

DRN MOM
Sep 30, 2000
Hey Troy, how great to hear from you! What about school now? Do you go back soon? We are so glad to have met you, your mom and dad. Keep us up on your progress and hopefully we can see you again next year.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Chili, Char and Troy - Glad you all made it back home safe. Troy - Our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. Great to have met all of you.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just like Mom, worrying about getting the boy back to school.

Top Bottom