oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
this weekend I tried again and am getting a bit closer but still can not get the rider sharp :bang: Please tell me it is an equipment limitation :whoa: ;)

Attachments

• blurIMG_0031.jpg
    blurIMG_0031.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 258
  • blurIMG_0032.jpg
    blurIMG_0032.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 265
  • blurIMG_0033.jpg
    blurIMG_0033.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 258

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Okiewan said:
I guess I'll be the first. They are OOF bro.
Did you use center point only focus on AI Servo?
Yes and that is why I think the Rebel is just to short featured to accomplish the pan shots. I have close to 75 that are even worse for focus. this section of the track is a very high speed straight with just a slight kink in it and I think by the time the focus and then trigger the shutter ocurred the bike has moved out of the focal area. I think I will soon be looking for a way to sneak a new camera into the bag :nod: without the wife noticing

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Two things for you to try next time.

1) Pre focus if your AF won't keep up. I too have a Digital Rebel, and pre focus can sometimes be the only option. If you shoot at f7.1 or 8 you depth of field should be pretty wide, so you should be able to get some in focus this way.

2) Try not to shoot when they are going so fast. Find a corner where their speed is not as fast. If you must shoot the high speed stuff, you probably could get a cool pan effect with a higher shutter speed. 1/160 to 1/250.

Always try to follow through after you press the shutter button.

Good luck,

Emile.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
Did you use center point only focus on AI Servo?

I think this is part of the issue. You don't have AI servo focusing on the Rebel unless it is in the preset sports mode which takes away shutter and aperature control.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Are we talking about the digital Rebel XT or the 35mm EOS Rebel? The digital Rebel does have the AI Servo feature.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
When I shoot moto I'm almost always in shutter priority (Tv) mode. I select the center focal point only and I'm always on AI Servo as well.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Dave has the 300D not the XT (350D) It only has Servo in the preset sports mode which was why I upgraded to the 20D. With the dutchables hack I believe there is a horrible work around to temporarily fool the camera into servo mode but it doesn't really seem very feasible.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
don't feel bad, dude. panning is...like, the hardest thing you can do with a camera, in my opinion, and it's an order of magnitude worse with moto. practice, practice...

wp.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's a classic :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom