Permatex Motoseal 1 & 2 - Any good?

msport

Sep 4, 2001
RE: motoseal

Motoseal is overpriced. It's basically the same as their other gasket sealants, just marketed to 'Motoheads'. Save the couple dollars difference and go buy a beer. The gray version is higher temp than the white.

jib

Jan 23, 2000
Brush,

msport is correct. The grey will have a higher temp rating than the white due to the diffrence in fillers used to make it. The white is the same as bath and tub caulk you can buy at home depot for under $2.

Dow makes that inferrior crap for permatex. I'll throw a tube of some good stuff in my truck, if I see you at catra I'll give it to you.

I pre grease the gaskets before putting them on and never have a problem getting them back off intact without scraping. That's using a silicone base grease of course :D

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I though that the deal with Motoseal 2 was that is was gasoline resistant, which is unusual for a silicone based sealant. In further reading, the grey stuff (Motoseal 1), which is not silicone based, says for “frequently disassembled engines” whatever that implies about it’s properties. Looked interesting and like I said, I’m always looking for a better mousetrap. jib, what kind of silicone grease do you use?

jib

Jan 23, 2000
brush,

All silicone gasket making material is gasoline resistant. That's just a marketing catch phrase for motorheads.

I use silicone based grease, I'm not sure what it's made specificaly for. Its not made here any more,but I still have a few tubs of it. But anyway it was cheap :D and convenient. I've used synthetic grease and it works just as well at preventing gaskets from being permently stuck to the surface they are suposed to seal.

jib

Jan 23, 2000
unit74,

General electric makes the good stuff, along with thousands of other silicone based products. :D, It just so happens to be my place of employment.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
SuperLube makes a good Teflon fortified silicone grease. I used it everywhere. They have a website where you can get a free sample but I don't have it at work. I'll post it tomorrow.

Top Bottom