furlong

Aug 18, 2006
my friend just painted his fenders black with plastic paint. It looks good now but will that last. i am deciding weather or not to do it to mine

Any feedback/comments would be appreciated

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
furlong said:
my friend just painted his fenders black with plastic paint. It looks good now but will that last. i am deciding weather or not to do it to mine

Any feedback/comments would be appreciated

This has been asked an answered many times on here. Do a seach for it...

But the short answer is, nope, won't work. Will look real good until you ride it a bit.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Nope, wait a couple months (and a few good rides) and see what your friends looks like.

I can see that you are new, the first thing you need to do is learn how to search before asking.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Then you didn't ride it.
Paint will NOT stick to plastic under normal riding conditions.
Many have tried it, many thought they knew better. Many were bummed about their crappy looking plastic.

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
Okie, my experience was all about surface prep, and krylon fusion paint. look at my photo on my profile... yep, that shiny black plastic looks horrible! I also wreck often, and yes, it did scratch, but never chipped.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Wow, that paint looks really good. What was the prep work you did to it? I am going to need some new plastics soon anyways and I might as well see what I can do to them.

3Wheelerdude

Nov 20, 2006
Here's my personal experience with paint: I have a 87 Kawasaki X2 (some kind of jetski) and the decals and paint colors were horrible. So I went paint shopping and has mentionned somewhere in the previous posts, I ended up buying some Krylon fusion, but not the rattle can one. The pint one. I preped the surface like I would with a car, primered and painted. So far so good. The only small problem I have encountered is that it will react if gasoline is dropped on it. As far as a fender goes, they tend to wobble and bend much more than a jetski hull..... hummmmmmmmmmm

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
Just be sure that the climate is good....(med temp, low humidity) clean the plastic really well with an achohol based cleanser, use a plastic specific "prep", allow to dry, and wipe with a terry cloth. Shake the can more than it says to in the instructions. Start shooting the paint before you hit plastic, and dont let off until you've passed the other side. about 2 coats (about 1 hour apart) @ 6 inches works good. Good luck.

motocross4life

Yamaha-What'r You Riding?
Oct 29, 2006
yup i would just get black plastics so you have both colors.

Top Bottom