YamahaMan09

Apr 28, 2002
I recently bought a 1991 YZ 80. Its a great bike, and it has a new top end and everything. But sometimes when i hit the powerband in 1st and 2nd, it doesn't really kick in. I'm not sure why this is, because the other gears are fine, but 1st and 2nd don't hit in the powerband like they should. Could it be carburetor settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
If it hitting in the higher gears i would think your carb is fine. It could be your clutch is slipping.. Heavy duty springs would be a cheap fix?? Otherwise you may be in need of a new clutch. If you do install heavier springs, you could also check the clutch plates for wear.. Good luck!

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
are u completely surei ts not kicking in? 1st n 2nd gear on a yz80 unless u are on pavement spinn the wheel easly. take it on ur drive way or some where u can get traction and try. next go where u have traction and hold the throttle open and slightly pull the clutch(its called faning the clutch) this will let the engine rev and let it go into powerban.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
dude its an 80. it wont go up far enough to flip believe me. ive ridden a 95yz80 w/ an fmf sst and a 95yz80 w/ a fmf fatty or rev or somethin and i did the same. they go up to about 45 degrees and thats it. make sure u r far up on the seat.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Hey, YamahaMan09, do you know of any good companies that make aftermarket parts for a '90 YZ80? I haven't been able too find too much and i thought maybe you would know something.

THX
~Jamie

Top Bottom