Big Thor

Mar 16, 2004
I have a problem starting my yamaha pw 50. It take forever to start the little bike. I switch the bike to start on the switch located on the handle bars. I have to kick the bike for twenty mins. before it will start. When it finally starts it runs fine all day. I have change the spark plug. please help bros. :whiner:

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Depending on the weather, I try different starting procedures. I apply the choke and turn the throttle for a few kicks. If that doesn't do it, I turn the choke off and give it a few kicks. Sometimes, it takes a couple of kicks, sometimes ten to twenty. It never takes more than a minute to start.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Next time check these things:
Put a spare plug into the spark cap and kick, no spark you have either a bad kill switch, or a bad electrical connection somewhere in the harness.

You have spark,
Check if the float bowl actually have fuel in it. If not check the float valve and the gas tank petcock for debris.

You have spark and fuel,
Check the air filter although if the air filter was dirty you would have a tough time all the time.

Do you have fuel filter? Check that fuel actually flows through it by disconnecting the carb end of the hose. ***This was a problem I just had*****

I don't know what type of ignition a PW 50 has but as a last resort it may have either a dirty pickup or points.

Good luck.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
are you still running the stock air filter? these things are hard to start with pod filters and such on. they are also prone to hard starting when the intake boot leaks air. this is the side between the filter box and the carb. the motor needs the air restriction to pull enough fuel to start. you dont mention using your choke. are you? have you tried both posistions? there is off, on half, on full.
Also what year? newer ones you can disconnect the start timing retart switch and it starts easier and you can start it in run like a regular bike.

Also if the rings are worn. check the compression. you should see something over 80 when kicking with the throttle open.

Top Bottom