RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
I have been thinking about racing mx, I have a buddy who raced ax (amateur) and he quit racing because during a race he was in a wreck and broke a wrist and compound fractures in both arms. He said most of all the bad wrecks he has been in while racing was caused by someone else. He also said that a lot of beginner classes were dangerous also. Kinda took the wind out of my sails. Is this true , is this just part of racing and am I just being a vag.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I never race the beginner class. I get spanked in a faster class but the riders are able to hold there lines better and I still have fun. Racing is hazardous, racing someone who wants to win more than you has inherent danger.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Get in front in the begginer classes, because then you'll be with the faster guys who are a bit of better riders. Of course it's not always your choice to get the holeshot or not.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
I dont consider myself a beginner, Im not scared of small to medium doubles and any table top, I also think I handle whoop sections decently. It would probably be safer to skip the beginner class if I was to start racing mx right.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I think the beginner classes are safer than C. The guys in beginner know that we're slow. C riders tend to think that they're faster than they are.

You should consider laying back when the gate drops, especially if it's a full gate. Most carnage happens in the first turn and if you are far enough back you can usually get around the wreck. Then you can work on picking the competition off one at a time. Note, I didn't say be last out of the gate, most of the beginners will be toward the back anyway, unless it's a really big beginner class that day.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Actually, yes, but there are other classes on the track too. My daughter taped my last. It's a big video, but I can try to send it to you. Give me an email address. If you don't want to make your email public, just email me through my profile.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It's a 2gb AVI, I will compress it down to MPG and sent it as soon as I can.

Looks like rendering will take about an hour, I will try to get it to you tonight.

Last edited:

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
what size bike do you ride? when I was a kid and used to race my cr 80 it was basically like this. most the kids sucked and were pretty slow, and there was a couple guys that were really good and would just take off and lead the pack. not very dangerous in my opinion. 125 class or something though is probably alot more competitive. either way i say screw it man. go for it. in this sport getting injured is going to happen. so race and race and break your wrist and race some more.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
I ride a 450, Im also 30 and have bills that will not pay themselves if I break bones. Im also not a beginner just have never raced mx, I have rode mx quite a bit. I have never seen an ameture race below intermediate. I dont know what class I should enter if any at all.

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
Go for the Vet classes. District 17 and most others have a +30 class that is just what you want. These guys will race you for all they are worth but usually won't do anything stupid as they have to go to work on Monday too.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm 34, also have bills to pay and I've raced beginner, C and Vet classes. I can tell you this, racing MX and riding at all for that matter, involves risk. Even if you're careful you still have many things to consider. For the most part, people on the track seem to look out for injury, but it only takes the one guy who's got competitive fire pushing him/her beyond their ability to cause an issue (and occasionally that guy will be you!). By in large, the vet class seems a tad more cautious presumably due to the "bills to pay" mentality but don't think for a second those guys don't get caught up in it either. I had a blast racing in all 3 classes and don't buy the begginer's are more dangerous arguement (they're just slower). My advice, go to the track in question on a "points night" and see what the 3 classes look like. You should get a good idea from there of where you'll fit.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I rode various trail and MX bikes from age 5 to 16, but never raced. I started racing at age 33 and started in the beginner class. I've got a year and a half of racing in and have done beginner and "C" class. I've never won a beginner class - I do have 5 second place finishes.

I usually run mid-pack in C, although I did manage to trophy once.

I consider myself a pretty good rider, but MX is a strange animal. I'm not scared of small to medium doubles and tables, either, and I've went for it a couple times on triples.

You can be a pretty good "rider" and still suck at MX. I'd suggest starting in beginner class so as not to embarrass yourself, if nothing else. ;)

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
There is always risk of injury any time you throw a leg over your bike. Its been my experience that C class riders tend to be more squirelly (not holding their lines) but in B class you have riders who think they are great (some are really good and others just think they are) and sometimes dont have much regard for the safety of other riders.
I say if you want to do it, just go for it. Life is too short to not take chances.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
RMZRyder said:
...also said that a lot of beginner classes were dangerous also. Kinda took the wind out of my sails. Is this true , is this just part of racing and am I just being a vag.
Your passion to race will put the wind back into the sail, the rest simply falls in place. Did my first race in 30+ years last season, faced most the questions, issues you posted. My thoughts were "D" is only dangerous if you don't belong their, which if you can jump a double you don't belong usless your only thinking of that $5 trophy. Vet and 30+ (50+ for me) you might get in the way... most these guy's are pretty good/fast. "C" seemed right for me... seems the class while generally a full gate breaks into 3 races during a moto whereas the top 1/3 are sand bagging "B" types, the middle 1/3 have there own positioning battles and the back 1/3... you get the idea. In the first race after I pissed in my britches while in the gate (better than a heart attack), I found myself in the back, didn't come in last and didn't get lapped... probably would have been last exception being the wiser rider I stayed on two wheels. Point, it was great... and my only goal was to finish... and build from there.

Your friend, while I feel his pain, seems to feel others got him damaged. Not to say this doesn't happen, however being a more mature rider you shouldn't be getting yourself into this type of situation. As you become aggressive, you begin racing with better riders... and generally speaking your decisions/skill will be the crash generator.

IMPORTANT: If getting hurt is the ghost in the brain, then I highly suggest you not race. Time better spent would be on the mx practice days... which by the way can be dangerous depending on the venue. After a dismount 3 years back it took me an entire season just to do a double... once I got rid of the spook I was good to go.

Good Luck

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
IMHO anyone who does medium doubles, an occasional triple and is decent in the whoops is NOT a beginner - but that's just me. I think there is a real chance you will be a danger to the real beginners that roll those obstacles.

Good luck.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Solid State said:
IMHO anyone who does medium doubles, an occasional triple and is decent in the whoops is NOT a beginner - but that's just me. I think there is a real chance you will be a danger to the real beginners that roll those obstacles.

Good luck.

Nice thought, but basically no one over 15 at my local track rolls anything - but then again, I think that most of our "D" class riders would do fine in "C" at other tracks.

I don't know why, but that's how it is here. There's a bigger gap between "D" and "C" than there is between "C" and "B".

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom