Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Time to admit it and fess up to being a bone head.

Rear brakes were lacking feel and had basically become like a light switch, either full on or off.

So no biggie, got the rebuild kit and had at it. Something I have done many times in the past.

Bike up on the stand, removed rear tire, removed the entire rear brake system, tore it all apart, cleaned it all, replaced all parts within the kit, re-installed the brake system, put the rear wheel back on, and was ready to fill the system with fluid. Now here is where I ran into the "DON'T DO THIS" part of the project.

Removed the reservoir cap, filled my brake bleeder and attached it to the bleeder valve, crack open the bleeder valve, started to fill the system, aaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddd “NOTHING” !!! For the life of me I could not get the fluid to push through the line. What did I do???!!! At this point I do not want to remove it all again so I stop for a moment to gather myself. So then I begin to trouble shoot each part of the system. Remove the brake line from the master cylinder, attach the brake bleeder, crack open the bleeder valve and now can add fluid. So it is not an issue with the caliper and brake line. Second step I removed the fluid reservoir from the master cylinder and verify the line is not plugged. That is good. Okay, something is wrong with the master cylinder. Third step I remove master cylinder, check the plunger…. Moves up and down smoothly. Getting a little frustrated now. Continue to inspect and that is when I found it. (I will not mention the names I was calling myself at this point in this post). Looking at the top side of the master cylinder, where the brake line attaches, I notice there is a black rubber piece blocking the exit. Yup, that’s right. I installed the plunger spring and rubber grommet upside down. Ten minutes later, after installing the plunger spring correctly, I have the brake system buttoned up and filled with fluid.

Lesson learned. No matter how many times you have done something, always pay attention to the details……………

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
We've all been there Mully _duh_

At work we have to attend regular Human Performance Training and in a room full of guys who often have 25+ years on the job one of the most stressed points is usually :

At Risk Behaviors to Avoid: • Thinking the job is “routine” or “simple”

DOOOH!

Last edited:
Top Bottom