flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
It can depend on what and where you ride. My dad and I have used many different types of tires, and we both love and use the Michelin S12's. The Perelli scorpion is a cheaper, but still excellent, knock-off of it. We like the Michelins because they can hook up great in anything we have put them in. They don't chunk up and they are very aggressive. The one down fall is that they are soft tires, So you'll have to replace it about once a year if you ride really hard. We really never get hard tires, because hooking up and not sliding can be the difference in broken bones, or a sunk bike (hehe).
Really a soft or mid-soft tire that looks pretty aggressive with do you good.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
I've had good luck with Dunlops, both on my MX bike and my dual-sport. If you match one of their tires to the proper terrain, you can expect good results and long wear. I use D606s on my XR650L, since I use it mostly for very aggressive trail. Being DOT tires, they're hard and have their drawbacks but seem to perform reasonably well. The hard compound is a plus here, because of the rocky terrain. Several people that I ride with, that trailride MX and enduro bikes, have been considering switching to the 606s... :whoa: ...but then again....that could be 'coz as of yet, they haven't been able to keep-up with me. :laugh:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For woods riding, a soft terrain tire usually works best. The best ones are very versatile and will handle anything you can throw at them. My favorites are Michelin S12, Dunlop 756 and Maxxis SI (soft intermediate).

Michelin's usually have a funny size rating that shows them 20mm larger than their actual size; for example a 130 Michelin is comparable to a 110 Dunlop.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I agree, I like the dunlops. Tried bridgestone and michelin. I just ordered a fresh d756 for the rear and a 742fa front.

Hey KSCHILK, where you from?

89RM

Jun 22, 2008
I haven't been around dirtbikes for a whilem but my RM has a brand new kenda millville tire on it and i love it so far, handles anything from rocks to mud

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
I also like the Dunlop 756 and Michelin S12. Both are soft/intermediate and work well for me, I ride in everything from sand to rocks. The 756 finally wore out after a lot of riding in the rocky areas and I have just a few rides with the S12 but so far it works great and isn't wearing too fast.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Michelin Trial Competition.

matt_12345

Mar 14, 2008
if u r riding different terrain dont get kenda!!!!.. i had a millville and it was good until i got in some rocks and it chunked to ****... they r garbage.. my friend has a new southwick and it already faling apart. i have a metzler and ride everything from roads, sand, hard pack , and rock and it hasnt got a single chunk out of it yet

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
bigzuMER said:
What is the best brand of tire for riding trails/woods.

I'm in the same boat looking for the best tire with the best bite. I think I'm going to try the Michelin S12's. Although the IRCs have tall, aggresive lugs, I hear they seem to chunk a little.

Top Bottom