woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Isnt it amazing how 1 simple little phone call can change the entire direction of one of those BLAAAHHHH days? The “blaahhhness” all started out a couple days ago with the discovery of a bad NEW piston for my KX500. I discovered a flaw in the casting of this Pro-X piston and was having a HECK of time getting any co-operation from LA Sleeve (same company) about it. I made the call to them at 9 am and caught one of their techy’s at work. He said “sorry, you have to talk the owner of the Company about getting it replaced and he wont be in till 9 (they are in California). OK, back to work for me.. Of course the “Pres” never did return my call, what does he care whether or not My 5 is ready to kick butt Sunday or not :) For a late lunch break I decided to go over to Larry’s and get his opinion of the piston (Larry is boat mechanic – REAL sharp!!). As I was walking out the door Randy Sneller called and said he was BORED brainless and wanted to go RIDING real BAD. I laughed and said “My bike is still down and we have 3 inches of fresh powder here” – he moaned and hung up :) Friends like Randy can be so disconcerting..
I headed to Larry’s and Cedar Creek is right on the way. I couldn’t help but notice that Cedar Creek had gotten no where near the snow that we had in Ravenna. The day was starting to look better already!! Larry agreed with my assumption on the piston – the flaw was in a very vulnerable spot - just didn’t look good!! I told him that Randy had called and reminded me that it was ride day. Larry’s eyes lit up as I told him that Cedar was not looking to bad. We called Randy from Larry’s and agreed to meet at Cedar Creek at 3:30 pm.
Larry and I talked a while longer and by the time I headed home to get my DR100 it was 3:05. I passed Randy coming off the highway at US31 and M-120 with his bike in tow and knew I was going to be the late one this time :) Got home, loaded the mini-bike in the van and headed to Cedar..
The North loop looked the best so that is the direction Randy on his XR200, Larry on his CR250 and I on my DR100 went. As we were crossing the road into the trailhead another 2 truck loads of riders were coming in!! Like I said, the day was looking up!
My little DR has a bald rear nob and NO screws in front or back. It did surprising well until we came to the first snow covered area. It had a tendency to want to “cross-up” anytime it was faced with this condition. Really kinda fun on a little bike but it would get VERY tiring on a full sized machine! Randy and Larry both had screws so they let me lead just to be nice – at least that’s what they said…
Of course, anyone who has ridden with a 210 pound man riding a mini cycle with bald tires on a partially snowed up trail knows that you don’t choose to follow the guy because you want to be nice! You follow them for the entertainment and the drama. I put on the best show that I could with plenty of slide outs and lots of “OH MY GOSHHH, I CANT STOP” routines!!! The ground was THAWED in most places but just about the time I thought I could rely on some “diggin in side action” I would find that not thawed spot and sideways she go – couldn’t imagine anything with more then 10 horse without screws in these conditions though. Most of the high berms that the North trail is known for were thawed and clear of snow so I did have a WOT riot on those with the little bugger!
About 2/3rds way around the loop and I smelled cigarette smoke in the woods. Sure enough, within five minutes we were passing by the other group of riders standing on the side of the trail taking a break. They cheered me on (or maybe they were laughing at me – hard to tell when your having fun) as I went by, I doubled a set of whoops for them.
Just before you re-cross Cedar Creek on the second bridge going counterclockwise on the trail there is a pretty steep sand hill with HUGE sides on it (funny – I don’t remember that trench being that deep on my 5). I was tapped in third on the approach and hit some slush. I am more woods oriented then MX and very seldom drop a foot when cornering so it was a natural thing for me to stay on the pegs while the little bike thrashed toward one of the banks. I stayed on the pegs while the little bike and I were being dogged down by the dirt from the trail edge against my body. I just rode it till it stopped with my body at about a 30 degree angle to the ground. Randy and I have this thing going about keeping record when we fall. He said I fell – I said I didn’t. I said it was kinda like horse shoes – that was a “leaner” and didn’t count on my record as a fall.. Larry, the final judge in most of these childish games, was long gone, finally getting bored with my slow progress on the trail.
WE finished out the North loop and crossed Ryerson Road west of the trail head. The section of trail from that point back to the lot was definitely the worst area as far as snow goes. We didn’t take the time to go ride any of the south side, perhaps we can do that on Sundays ride if we go!!
Loaded up the bikes and headed for the Resturant for meeting of the minds. 3 hours of bench racing later and I was home..
Sure felt good to get out!
Woodsy

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
Cool report Woodsy!

Doubling whoops on DR100@210 impressive:) I been thinking about breaking out the 200, I have to work this weekend so no riding for me in the near future. Most likly will not get out until mid April :ugg:

So keep the reports comming

Brian

Last edited:

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Great report Woodsy!

Gezz, tell me about it Fender!
I haven't even started my new bike. Brought it home, and put it in the garage. There it has sat all lonely. :whiner:

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Smity had the bike so winterized, I didn't want to disturb it just to start it up.

Of course, I probably would have undone that too, if this wasn't my first 2-stroke. I have to figure out the whole pre-mix thang. :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Scott - You will soon learn to love the smell of pre-mix in the morning!

1) Remove the plastic bag sealing the airbox. Ensure that the No-Toil hasn't pooled at all (it shouldn't have).

2) Remove exhaust plug.

3) Drain gas from tank. With petcock closed, remove tube that leads from petcock to carb (remove the end connected to the carb). Place tube into gas container and drain.

4) Use old pre-mix in your favorite 2-stroke weed whacker, chainsaw, leaf blower, etc. Or better yet, just dump it into your mother-in-law's car. Seriously though, with a gallon or 2 at 36:1, you can dump it into any car gas tank that's relatively full.

5) Replace with your favorite premix and fresh gas. I used Mobil 1 MX2T @ 40:1, but last few tanks were at 32:1 and 36:1. Ran very clean either way. One bottle of MX2T to 4.5 gallons of 93 octane pump gas. I think the 36:1 would be a happy medium.

6) Check tires for air. I liked 10-12psi.

7) Light her up! It will smoke at first due to the winterizing oil in the cylinder. Let her warm up, and take it for a nice spring ride. The spark plug is brand new.

8) Drain the oil (while still warm) to get rid of any condensation contaminates that may have formed over the winter. Replace with your favorite gear box oil. I used Mobil 1 15-50 red cap. Full bottle.

ENJOY!!! Any questions or issues, let me know!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Smitdog - you give better service advice then most bike shops!! GREAT FOLLOW UP!! Gotta love this site for the wide open communication (WOC) opportunity if provides...
By the way Smitty, I REALLY appreciate your input (and others too) into the SB110 issue. Got my letter over to our State Senator (Van Woerkom) - if at all possible I am coming over to Howell tommorrow too!!!
Woodsy

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Smit-Dog:
I see that you've got the 200 EXC on your bike list under your avatar...is the new punkin home yet?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The trailer is hooked to the truck. Heading out tomorrow afternoon to pick her up. I'll have the whole weekend to get her accustomed to the other bikes. They may be jealous at first, but she'll be bigger.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Well good luck to you and your bike! :thumb: I hope she gets along with that new KX80/100 you got in there...I know that punkins and cabbages don't seem to get along so well...although they seem to handle themselves all right over in our garage...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
fender92883 said:
Well good luck to you and your bike! :thumb: I hope she gets along with that new KX80/100 you got in there...I know that punkins and cabbages don't seem to get along so well...although they seem to handle themselves all right over in our garage...

We keep them seperated in different rooms and they use different premix.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
The trailer is hooked to the truck. Heading out tomorrow afternoon to pick her up. I'll have the whole weekend to get her accustomed to the other bikes. They may be jealous at first, but she'll be bigger.

Bill
Congrats on the new KTM. If you have any questions about new ownership shoot me an e mail. I clearly understand how you are feeling right now, I was excited when I got my 2003.

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
I was thinking he is more like the Dr. Spock of motorcycles! :laugh:

70 marlin said:
Bill you missed your calling. You should have written service manuals!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
miScott said:
I was thinking he is more like the Dr. Spock of motorcycles! :laugh:
:laugh: ......... :think:

While I may be particular about a lot of things (nice way of saying anal!), I'm about as far away from wrench savant that you can get.

Remember, I'm the guy that left the choke on my son's XR-70 turned on (Honda mini's are opposite the rest of the world), and I couldn't figure out why it was running so badly. :uh:

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
:laugh: ......... :think:

While I may be particular about a lot of things (nice way of saying anal!), I'm about as far away from wrench savant that you can get.

Remember, I'm the guy that left the choke on my son's XR-70 turned on (Honda mini's are opposite the rest of the world), and I couldn't figure out why it was running so badly. :uh:

Aw, come on Smity. I meant it in a good way! :thumb:

My friend Ron, did the exact same thing with his son's XR-70.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:

Good luck with your new scoot Bill!

Top Bottom