Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My family and I are heading up to Camp Nissokone the weekend of 9/6. The camp is on Lake Van Ettan, near Oscoda and bordering the Huron National Forest.

Assuming my collarbone is healed well enough by then, I plan on bringing up the bikes to get a little riding in.

Looks like the DNR has 2 ORV riding areas near Oscoda: Old State House Trail and Huron Trails, east and west.

Can anyone make a recommendation as to which one is the better trail system. I'm going to be riding with my wife and 8 year old son, so I'm looking for an easy trail system that's close by the campground (within riding distance would be awesome).

Thanks!

- Bill

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Smit dog talkin' about riding again....GOOD news.

I think 70 marlin has spent some time on these trails with his boys. I have not ridden in that area.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by fatherandson
Smit dog talkin' about riding again....GOOD news.

Yet another reason I'm looking for the "easier" trails! At least for now... :p

We are going camping regardless if I can ride or not. Just saw the ortho this past Monday (at the 7 week mark). Some bone "glue" has formed, but not bone yet. :(

Doc is going to see if a bone stimulator device will be covered by insurance to see if that will kick start the healing process. I have 3 strikes against me: 1) Age, 2) Bone broke in two places w/ lots of fragments, 3) Previously broke same side. Lack of blood to the area due to #2 and #3 above is delaying the healing.

We are trading in Zach's XR-50 for an XR-70, so this ride will really be geared for him.

- Bill

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I wish the healing process was proceeding better. Keep the positive attituide.

If Zach gets a xr 70, he should have NO PROBLEM beating Napper in a race around the clubgrounds. :confused:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
But Napper may apply a Big Gun Exhaust to that flyin' 50 of his for more HP!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'd stay with old state, it's a nice 14 mile loop not to tough. It has a orv route running along it. so if the kids get tired you can jump on the route and your back @ the trail head quickly, just watch out for quads, when your on the route!!!!! the bike trail is too tight for them to run on. stay away from the huron trail it hooped out bad, and i alway's seem to come across horse's @ the worse time. there's a really nice camp ground right near. it's called old oaks or old orchard I think ? I've camped there it's right on the asuble river impoundment, nice beach camp store, pathed roads electric hiking trails. the camp ground is on river road about 10 miles out of Oscoda. Note: this is a township park & they will not let you ride out of it with dirt bikes. but they will let you push the bikes out of it. the huron trail is right across the street. hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey 70 Marlin, thanks for the info!

I'm surprised that horses share the same trail as bikes. I imagine they get pretty spooked when a pack of bikes comes flying around the corner.

We're staying at the YMCA campground, so looks like we'll have to trailer a short way. Thanks for the advice on taking the Old State trail. I'll let you know how it goes.

And as far as Napper, his 50 doesn't need no stinking Big Gun... he's packing attitude!

Top Bottom