dan druff

Apr 18, 2006
I have an 02 rm 125 I am getting ready for the summer season. I just rode it for the first time this season yesterday and it has awesome power up too half throttle, then just levels out. I have been searching extensively for an explanation, and got a few and checked them out, but to no avail.

I then came across a post by member DEANSFASTWAY here . HE explained that it could be the CDI or timing issues. And because of this a hole could be burned in the piston, and the rode bearing go bad. both of which had happened in the course of last summer, but i tweaked enough other things to make some of a difference i thought i fixed it :bang: . So my question is how do i check and test these things?(timing, cdi etc) and what should I be looking for when with the stator plate, fly wheel key?

thanks guys

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
to check your timing you need a special tool, i dont remember what its called. There is no way to test a CDI unless you switch it with a good known unit. It sounds as though your jetting might be off or your carb is dirty. Have you cleaned your carb lately?

dan druff

Apr 18, 2006
84cr125 said:
to check your timing you need a special tool, i dont remember what its called. There is no way to test a CDI unless you switch it with a good known unit. It sounds as though your jetting might be off or your carb is dirty. Have you cleaned your carb lately?

i tried to jet around this problem all last summer, with no real change. I tried everything from a 430-470 main, cleaned it multiple times, made sure jets weren't clogged etc..... I did find a CDI for real cheap on that one auction site, so I might as well gamble a little bit and swap that one in and see how things play out.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
ya, i managed to get one the guy said it was off a running bike that blew the top end. I was able to convince him that the ignition coil was bad and he threw it in as well. I knew for sure that it was good :p Try it, gamble but remember there is no way of testing a CDI and he could just be ripping you off.

dan druff

Apr 18, 2006
It should work, the seller guarantees the fit and condition, plus its only like $12. Hopefully this will solve it. I'm trying to get my hands on one of those timing testers to see if thats spec as well. Now the waiting game for the auction to end. :ugg:

Top Bottom