customfab

Aug 7, 2005
Long story short. Had Eric Gorr do a all-around tune for woods riding. Received new piston kit (265cc bore). Installed everything & put back together. Bike immediately had a strange ticking noise that I can only describe as "valve noise".

Anyway, sat the bike last 8 months. Finally pulled the top end. Found a cracked and scored piston. All damage adjacent to the reed valve.

Cylinder is scored and divoted in adjacent areas. Pretty good trauma.

What the hell happened? I'm afraid to get the repairs only to have the same issue. Pics attached. Like to diagnose it.

BTW, not trashing Eric. I ran the bike for about 30 min total. PITA to start but once running....awesome power. I can only imagine the gain with a proper piston. Yes, dumb of me to run for even 30 minutes. I've rebuilt several engines in my life....never screwed up any chevy strokers so I'm clueless here. :bang:

01%20RM250%20Scored%20&%20Cracked%20Piston%20(Medium).jpg

Attachments

• 01 RM250 Bore2 (Medium).jpg
    01 RM250 Bore2 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'd say the intake runner cracked. My old RM had the same thing happen after the over bore. After talking with several people it seems to be pretty common.

customfab

Aug 7, 2005
Joe,

I've inspected the cylinder. Couldn't visible see any cracks. There is some mushroomed of the intake runners and two large divots. Thing is, I'm pretty sure this problem was present immediately upon assembly. I'm wondering if I could have installed it incorrectly creating the problem. Ticking was present from 1st second of firing up. Or maybe a lean condition caused the damage?

Here's a close-up of the intake runners:

Intake%20Runners%20(Medium).jpg

Last edited:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
My personal guess: the end-gap of the rings wasn't set.

Too little gap and the ends of the rings meet each other and leave no room for movement. Then they snag ports, put far too much drag on cylinder walls, etc etc.

Either that or the piston-to-bore clearance wasn't enough. But that wouldn't expalain the large divits at the ports.

customfab

Aug 7, 2005
They were fine.....sending back to Eric for another plating. He'll give me the final word anyway. His kits are clearanced anyway.....so not the rings.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Reed petals?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Are you sure you had the rings placed over the centering pins properly?

I wouldn't expect that you would get the piston into the cylinder with it off but if you somehow managed then the end of the ring could end up really gouging the cylinder wall.

Top Bottom