Small Afterfires when throttle released.

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
I have rebored my bike and changed to open exhaust pipe.
After that of course came jetting and tuning.
It rides great, no bugging and pushing real hard.
The one thing still bothering me.
When sudden closing of the throttle after 4k rpm and higher,
it always accompanies with 2 or 3 afterfires.
Loud "backh" "backh" sounds without actual vapor ignition at the end of the pipe.
Any clues, or is it just paranoia :bang: ?

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
so you took the baffle out of the exhaust can ? if so then just put it back and you wont have the pops/bangs when you let off plus youll be able to hear when your 25yrs old. :bang:

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
QKENUF4U said:
so you took the baffle out of the exhaust can ? if so then just put it back and you wont have the pops/bangs when you let off plus youll be able to hear when your 25yrs old. :bang:
I am sure that you ain't got the problem DUDE. :coocoo:

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
sounds to me like your jetting on the main might be a tad lean. we're talking a 4 stroke here right - the rule of thumb is usually to run the fuel screw 2 turns out - see where you are with that - if you are less than 2, you might want to go leaner, if you are more than 2 you might want to bump the main up richer....

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
no i understand perfectly fine. youve changed the backpressure in the system and have a lean pop on decel. been here done this on all my street bikes. you need to richen the pilot jet up or play with your fuel screw like stated above by nickyd. but truthfully if your just wondering if its hurting things then the answer is NO. its just burning fuel in the pipe after you close the throttle.
if you did actually pull the baffle from the can then you will more than likely NEVER get rid of the popping by just richening up the idle circuit. you would foul plugs all day long if you richen it up that much.

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
nickyd said:
sounds to me like your jetting on the main might be a tad lean. we're talking a 4 stroke here right - the rule of thumb is usually to run the fuel screw 2 turns out - see where you are with that - if you are less than 2, you might want to go leaner, if you are more than 2 you might want to bump the main up richer....
Yeap man, that is 4-stroke.
I wonder thou, is it main or pilot?
The pilot scerew is 2 1/4 turns out.
The main needle in on the 3-rd groove.

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
QKENUF4U said:
no i understand perfectly fine. youve changed the backpressure in the system and have a lean pop on decel. been here done this on all my street bikes. you need to richen the pilot jet up or play with your fuel screw like stated above by nickyd. but truthfully if your just wondering if its hurting things then the answer is NO. its just burning fuel in the pipe after you close the throttle.
if you did actually pull the baffle from the can then you will more than likely NEVER get rid of the popping by just richening up the idle circuit. you would foul plugs all day long if you richen it up that much.
Actually the pipe built exactly as weapon silencer.
It has no baffler spark arrester at all,so gases are flowing out almost without backpressure.
So your advice is just let the beast live and ride it, wright?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
I'd ride it and not worry..but if you do, grab a pilot and a main and try one and then the other and see if the pop goes away.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
So I would guess they do not enforce any type of noise ordinance?????????????????? :|

My bikes loud so I know it will go fast, just like I know that wide tires on my car makes it go fast too. :bang:

Top Bottom