Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
SpeedyManiac said:
Why not have the fall dirtweek at Cooperland as the offical Dirtweek, then have a spring dirtweek that moves to a different area of the country ever year so people have a chance to attend some sort of organized ride and get a taste of what the big dirtweek is like?

That's a very good idea. :cool:

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
SpeedyManiac said:
Why not have the fall dirtweek at Cooperland as the offical Dirtweek, then have a spring dirtweek that moves to a different area of the country ever year so people have a chance to attend some sort of organized ride and get a taste of what the big dirtweek is like?
Speedy, I like the idea too. Then the Spring Dirt Week would not necessarily have to be so centrally located but could move deeper into the heart of different regions with a main purpose of targeting the bikers in that region. Wet the whistle and they come to the Fall DW. Good idea! Something to consider anyway.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Crunch said:
Speedy, I like the idea too. Then the Spring Dirt Week would not necessarily have to be so centrally located but could move deeper into the heart of different regions with a main purpose of targeting the bikers in that region. Wet the whistle and they come to the Fall DW. Good idea! Something to consider anyway.

Good point Crunch! There are also many of us that would like to visit different regions.

The Black Hills is a good example. Set it upand I will come.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
The Black Hills is a good example. Set it up and I will come.

Me too! My Grandparents have a ranch 20 miles south of Rapid City, I'd love to ride in the Black Hills! :cool:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I don't know about all of the DRN Chapters, but the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders have been having regional events for years. I have also traveled to Il for a few regional rides at Wardy's. Last year the DYDR's even traveled to a different region for a spring (a snowy spring) ride. The Reno ride is a good example of a regional ride that attracts people from all over the country.

Every regional event I have been to has been a "mini DW', but not DW. I say if we are going to do a spring DW, we do it big and make it a week-long event.

What says you, Okie?

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
Tony Eeds said:
Good point Crunch! There are also many of us that would like to visit different regions.

The Black Hills is a good example. Set it upand I will come.
The Black Hills would be an awesome place to ride!

This brings up another good point though. If, contingent upon the head hauncho of course, there was an official “Spring Dirt Week” that traveled to different locations each year, I’m pretty sure (I mean we all know how amazing Okie is and I can’t even imagine how much work is required to put one of these things on, especially when it’s being held in a new area) but it would require someone in the area to step it up and be a go too person that could work with Okie and sort of be the legs on the ground . . . you know, doing all the things that can’t be done from a distance.

I’d be willing to be that person if the Black Hills were chosen. Black Hills would be a hoot! But two things to consider. 1. It would be a pretty long trip for everyone else. A trip that would no doubt be worth it, but a long trip non-the-less. 2. The population density out here is not very high. I mean, there are more people in most large cities then there are in the entire state of South Dakota! North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming have low population densities as well. So probably not a lot of DRN members to draw from. But then again, looking at the map, the Black Hills would be a reasonable drive for those in Colorado, Nebraska, Minnesota and maybe Kansas, Missouri and Iowa as well. All I can say is I’m glad I’m not the one making the decisions! :yikes: But having followed this thread and taking into consideration what different ones from different regions are saying, especially about their riding areas, Michigan looks good. Larger population density and there is already a strong DRN contingent up there. Not to try to divert from the Black Hills. Hey, if there is interest, I’d help out in any way I can.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
CaptainObvious said:
I don't know about all of the DRN Chapters, but the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders have been having regional events for years. I have also traveled to Il for a few regional rides at Wardy's. Last year the DYDR's even traveled to a different region for a spring (a snowy spring) ride. The Reno ride is a good example of a regional ride that attracts people from all over the country.

Every regional event I have been to has been a "mini DW', but not DW. I say if we are going to do a spring DW, we do it big and make it a week-long event.

What says you, Okie?
Michigan has there own "mini DW", we call it Trailfest (sorry no track). I like the idea of a rotating Spring DW.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Spring would get us there every year. As it is now the school year is just starting and it is very hard to take Josh out for that long. It makes it tough to catch up when we return. I love CL but don't care where its at as long its spring bc we have more time to get there. Plus once Hurricane season starts it is also hard to get time off work. :cool:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
I thought I would bring this one back up to the top. Spring is just around the corner and road trips are on the minds of many of us. Is any progress being made on narrowing down a location?
Black Hills ?
Michigan ?
East coast ?
I dont need to know yet, just getting itchy

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The Heartland Spodes have an annual gathering Memorial Day Weekend. Lots of food, riding, and good friends. We've never turned anyone away. Tight woods riding and a small practice track. If something else is planned, I'll consider a road trip.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Okie,
I live in Louisville,KY and if the spring Dirtweek is chosen to be in my area I would be willing to step up with the leg work.

Crazy

David Bird

Jun 28, 2003
Location?

BSWIFT said:
The Heartland Spodes have an annual gathering Memorial Day Weekend. Lots of food, riding, and good friends. We've never turned anyone away. Tight woods riding and a small practice track. If something else is planned, I'll consider a road trip.

Brian,
Where do you guys get together for this gala event? I'm a serious handicap in the woods, but I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to get together with DRN folks.

Dave

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
first week in april be here :) spread the word
or just show up here anytime and ill probably be there already

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
ellandoh said:
first week in april be here :) spread the word
or just show up here anytime and ill probably be there already

Ellandoh you're funny!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
MXGirl230 said:
Ellandoh you're funny!

i do what i can :nod:

edit: this was meant as no joke my riding bud and i will be at Windrock first week of april. it was an unforgettable experience last year. you can stay on the mountain as long as you like , camp, bon fire , trailride, whatever, 24 hours a day. 72000 acres of dirtbike heaven , first week in april, is as soon as tent weather is acceptable at night there, which is ideal because my michigan cabin fever is peaking at that time also!!! its our own little season opener :yeehaw:

Last edited:

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
HMM, thats 4 hours from me.....tempting. :think:

If I can make it I'll PM you.

Crazy4nitro

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
ellandoh said:
i do what i can :nod:

edit: this was meant as no joke my riding bud and i will be at Windrock first week of april. it was an unforgettable experience last year. you can stay on the mountain as long as you like , camp, bon fire , trailride, whatever, 24 hours a day. 72000 acres of dirtbike heaven , first week in april, is as soon as tent weather is acceptable at night there, which is ideal because my michigan cabin fever is peaking at that time also!!! its our own little season opener :yeehaw:
This was one of my old riding spots before we moved to MO. I highly recommend it! Like ellandoh said, 72,000 acres! One of the SETRA enduroes is held here and it was voted the toughest a couple years ago I believe. My old riding club, www.volunteerriders.com, had about 70 miles of single track cut out there. Contact the president of the volunteerriders and he can probably hook you up with someone to ride with who knows the trails.

Oh and BTW, if you go to the website and click on 'pics/vids', that's me in the header pic!! #211
I also took the pics under 'Coal Creek Sights and Adventures' and 'Coal Creek SE&TRA Adventures'.
P.S. Coal Creek = Windrock

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
plans are set in stone now .........we'll be there april 7-10th :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Reessknight, are there any good mx tracks extremely close to Windrock??

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
ellandoh said:
Reessknight, are there any good mx tracks extremely close to Windrock??
Extremely close?? Not really. The closest one that I was aware of from Windrock would probably be Watt Rd. It is off I-40 on the west side of Knoxville at the Watt Rd exit. I didn't like that track very much tho because it was very hard packed and usually very dry and slick, not maintained very well. Another one is I-40 MX at the Lenior City exit beside Atomic Speedway. They usually race every weekend during the season on Sat. night and only open for practice a couple days a year. The other tracks are 1:30 to 2 hours away or more. There may be others that I'm not aware of so you might send an email to president at volunterriders dot com and pose the question to him. If that email bounces then try webmaster at volunterriders dot com.

Top Bottom