Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
This question is mainly for Jeremy, but I appreciate any input.

I am going to change from the stock springs in my bike, but I'm not exactly sure what spring rates to get, because I've never had any other springs for comparison.

I ride a 1995 KDX 200. I have an aftermarket pipe and silencer, so bike weight is a bit less than stock. I ride mostly in the woods, but I do some fairly big jumps too; no real mx though. I weigh about 152 pounds with no gear. I'm not sure what my riding weight is, but I don't ride with much gear-pretty much just boots, jacket and helmet. I tend to abuse the forks.

From the race tech website, I was recommended .395 kg/mm fork and 4.76 kg/mm shock springs. In your opinion is .40 kg/mm too much for the fork? What would you recommend for front and rear?

Thanks for the help!
Lutz

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
40/4.8 pretty good

Lutz
I would think that a 40/4.8 combo will work pretty good for you. You may get away with .38's on the forks but it's really not cut and dried. Best to CALL MX tech and discuss your skill level and other factors that effect the decision. If you can swing a revalve that would be really sweet. Ot if you are a DYI then install some gold valves.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
i already sent mx tech a pm but ill post it here too.just picked up a new 220 today.i need a set of .48 kg fork springs.jeremys site dont show em,race tech only goes to .46

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good to hear you're back in the dirt ....

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
yeah im glad too.keep your fingers crossed.although i did race 1 enduro,and red buds grass race last year.for the most part it stunk for me.i was just up at service showing aj the kdx,my 500af is sitting in the corner and i could feel its eyes upon me.between aj getting hurt and me getting hurt im surprised my wife lets me leave the house.as far as the fork springs i read here that xr400 springs will work rt goes to .47 thats close enough,ill preload if i have too.

Last edited:

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Fred T
Thanks for the reply. I have been seriously wanting a revalve, but I've been going broke paying for school, and since I'm at school, I'm away from my bike and haven't been able to work on it.:( Later this spring, my fiscal situation should be in order, so I should be able to get things done then. In the mean time, I'm trying to get a list of everything I need so that when I do get the time to work on the bike, I can just do it without to much messing around.;)

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Lutz,
No worries on the RT recomendations..They are good.. You may consider changing the shock spring only..
Just a thouight try that first...( as already pointed out) Most heaveier riders can use the stock rear, and need to change the front. You are the opposite of this.

Thorman,
I'll send you an e-mail.. No worries..

Regards,
Jer

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Jeremy,
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the fork springs anyway, because (as I failed to mention in my first post) I can bottom the forks really easily right now. On the other hand, I never use all of the rear travel, even on the biggest jumps I do. So, if .40/4.8 sounds good, I think that's what I'll try first.
Thanks,
Lutz

Top Bottom