Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Considering the number of challenges, roadblocks, and the last minute decision that I must go on this ride, it was awesome!

So many times trying to get ready for this weekend I kept muttering "this ride is just not meant to be". The dirt bike gods did not seem to be with me.

- Made decision late Thursday to just do it! I hadn't planned on going up, but Napper needed his panties back.

- The bike from the engine on back was in pieces. Lingering winter project that just didn't get done. Fine - I'll take a comp day on Friday and put it back together.

- Get a call from my customer Friday morning- big problems. Spend all day Friday downtown Detroit working on problem. Go to son's basketball game after work. Get home 8pm, have dinner; bike is still in pieces. Flip through service manual. All righty then!

- 1:30am bike is back together except for seat. Can't find bolts I removed this past November. 2am - bolts found in fender bag!

- 2:15am: Realize that I'm missing small clip for carb cable. Try and start bike - it runs! Decide that clip must not be that important.

- 2:30am: Back trailer in garage to load bike and gear. Close barn door on trailer. Start pulling out onto drive way. Loud bang! Get out and realize that emergency release cord from garage opener was closed in barn door. Pulling trailer pulled the cord, and 1,000lbs garage door releases and crashes onto top of trailer roof. Only fell about 8" - no damage. Get out ladder and try and reattach chain on opener.

- Go to bed at 3:30am. Wired/excited, can't sleep right away. The wind is howling, and it is raining hard. Power goes out at 5:30am. Smoke/CO2 alarms start beeping, and wake me up. Get up shut them down. Lay in bed, realizing that without power, my alarm will not go off at 6:30am.

- No power = no oatmeal and no coffee. Keep thinking.... this just wasn't meant to be! Realizing that I stayed up most of the night to make this ride, I head out on the road. All the bad karma must be gone.

- Drive 2.5 hours, at times through icy, windy rain.

- Pull out of Pinconning gas station with coffee and breakfast in hand, and start heading west on M61. Suddenly, the heavens parted, blue sky emerged, and the sun tried peaking out.

This ride today was meant to be!

Thanks to everyone that helped make it happen!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You know Bill, my prep went almost verbatim (sp?):
KDX didnt sell.
Spark arrestor didnt come in for the 5.
Up till 1:30 pulling screws/trying to fiqure out what the HECK the weather was going to do!
SNOW covered ground in the am and on the way up.
Then when I get near Gladwin, just like you said, the clouds cleared and I SAW the sun!
I knew for sure then that we were on the "right trail" - it was well worth the hassle!

MAN WAS THAT FUN!!!

Thanks "easterners" for a GREAT day and a SUPER ride!
A special thanks to "factory Freddy" for the invite (I finally understand why they call you factory!).

Your "western" ridin bud!
Woodsy
Oh, by the way guys, I drove thru a MAJOR snow storm on the way home :)
HA HA missed us this time ol man winter!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Great Ride! with great people. Had an awsome time. Thanks Bill lunch was great. It was better than sitting on the couch & painting the toe nails.
Don

V-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 13, 2000
For the 1st ride of the spring, it couldn't have been better! Nice riding with you all! See you guys ay the supercross!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
A great ride with great friends.  It was wonderful to see everyone!!

I LOVE my new bike!!

:flame:   :flame:

Bill, THANKS for lunch!!!

I will not be at the SX, but I look forward to seeing everyone on the trail in April or May.

P.S.  I LOVE MY NEW BIKE!!!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mike
I forgot to ask you how you like your new bike. How is that thumper?

Oh, by the way I rode again today guys. Awesome day and some awesome choice singletrack. This stuff tired me out in 30 miles.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Fred, Thanks for asking......I had so much fun on the thumper.  I can not think of a thing I would change on this bike.  The engine worked great - thanks Alan and the suspension worked great - thanks Napper - anyone who rides a KTM that has not had Napper tune the suspension - SHOULD!

I forgot to mention earlier than the day started with an awards presentation.  Factory Fast Freddy T was given a huge trophy for his accomplishments as the TOP Internet Salesperson for Lansing Cycle and Enduro Engineering!!

Congratulations Buddy!!

:worship:   Smit Dog   :worship:

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Man, what a ride!!! Alot of utes missed a great ride with very little water and no dust - even in the back of the pack near me :scream:

I did expereience a clutch problem due to my new tire in a coupla corners, it just fully engaged at full throttle on what looked like Too Tall Mike Bell on a fancy showroom bike... :confused:

What a fantastic group of guys, and Nater, congrats on a great ride!

See y'all on Saturday or the next trail event.

rickshaw

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
And while we're giving out awards, how about 'Rookie Rider of the Day'...

I nominate that guy riding the baby thumper, ridin' red... none other than Fender92883 aka "NateDog"! :aj:

I don't know if he was still hopped up on adrenaline, but after the ride, safely back on terra firma, he had this somewhat shaky sh!t-eating grin knowing that he conquered some whoops and sand that day. Great job on the XR buddy! We rode with some faaassst guys (not that I could even see their backs), and Fender hung tough.

And Rick "Rooster" Shaw.... only you and your maker know it was an accident, right? :p

Seriously though, riding with Rick gives me hope that I may possibly be that fast when I'm his age.

... But that is such a long, looong way off. Dirt bikes probably won't look anything like they do today. ;)

Napper - Thanks for the hook up man. Get medieval down in LA this weekend... you've earned it.

And the only thanks I need is awesome trail ride and to get back to the trailhead on my own bike! It doesn't get any better than that...

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well guys I did another 40 miles on the new KX5 today. It was another PERFECT day over here. Got another ride planned for the am (going to White Cloud) and should have the suspention pretty much dialed in after that one. Probably by the time you guys get to see it the plates will be on it!

ALL MY BUDS WERE MAD CAUSE I CAME OVER WITHOUT THEM :) :) :)
Next time there will be more of us "westerners" in attendance!!
Hey Freddy, I checked the rear pads on my KDX when I got home - GONE! You guys must be riding on old grind dust over there!!
Woodsy

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
And while we're giving out awards, how about 'Rookie Rider of the Day'...

I nominate that guy riding the baby thumper, ridin' red... none other than Fender92883 aka "NateDog"!

Man has Nate has came a long way’s, I spent the better half of the chasing him! I never thought a 200 could go that fast through that deep sand for that long.

Fred when get a look at those pic’s of that river crossing, my riding side (Matt) said you got a pic of him flying through the water. I’d like a look @ or a copy if you got him.

Rick Thanks again for letting me tear your bike up a bit. Let me know if your looking for a new bike. Lets say like, next year about this time? I’ll dig ditch’s to come up what’s needed for that bike to be mine! Nice power, so smooth just kept revving. Didn’t get a chance to really get a good feel of it. With the deep sand and all. I’d like to try it on a fast hard trail, or maybe one of my hills @ my little gravel pit. Hope you don’t have any scarring memories of my xr!

Woodsy, Glad I had a chance to meet you, would have liked to ride with you longer. But you’re just to Dam fast! For me to keep up.

Mike, Bill, Fred and all glad to see everyone again

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
A funny story from our ride on Saturday.

Woodsy was doing a great job of introducing himself to everyone.  Here is how the conversation went with our bald buddy.

Hi, I'm Mike Napieralski.

Picture Woodsy with a confused look on his face...the last name again?

Napieralski

Woodsy is still confused, but then a smile comes to his face...You're Napper! :laugh:

I had to laugh when it happened and it still makes me smile.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Careful now, that was a traumatic experience for ol Woodsy! So traumatic that of all the "new" folks I met over there Napper is the one face/name connection I will NEVER forget. Well, as long as he doen't shave off his beard!
Woodsy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I think ol' Woodsy was just experiencing a case of deja-vu, or maybe a hazy flashback to a mid-80's concert.

You see, not only does Napper race and wrench KTMs with the best of them, he's also been known to throw down a mean guitar lick.

Attachments

• zztop.jpg
    zztop.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 205

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thats great Bill! LOL

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
what are you saying I don't blend in well with a crowd? Had a great time with everyone on sat. thanks for letting me join the ride.

Napper

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
hey Pat - 70 marlin...i'd start diggin' that ditch right now!

we know a guy with a totally tricked out KTM 450 with gold rims that will be for sale at the end of the season ;)

rickshaw

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I think That bike might be a little too much for me! It’s not that stealth gray either. Glad to see there's no lasting effects on you from riding my bike! Thanks again. Looks like I'll be starting my ditch-digging career. Putting about 100' of under ground wire to the pole barn soon. "My yard is all bank run gravel" pick axe work mostly.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Guys
I got some pics posted in the Mi Trailriders photo section from Sat and Sunday.

Top Bottom