Marcus K

Jan 8, 2002
I searched the forum and couldn't find any help with my question.

I'm trying to improve my starts and was curious as to what gear I should reach before the first turn.

I'm on a 250 and start in second. The first turn is about 40 to 50 yards away. I'm only getting up to third gear. Should I being reaching 4th or 5th gear?? Someone help me out, fighting from mid-pack is hard work and a pain in the @$$!!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
There have been a lot of discussions on here about starts. To be honest I couldn't tell you what gear I'm in when I hit the 1st corner, sometimes I think it's 4th or 5th then again I may only be in 3rd. Don't mean to sound ignorant but when the gate drops I just look where I want to go, hold it wide open and shif when the bike quits pulling as hard as it can. The key I think is not how high of gear you can get to because you just have to downshift that much more when you hit the turn, it's to see who can hold on the gas the longest and brake last before the 1st turn. Practice late braking therefore beating everyone to the 1st turn. If you are having trouble getting out of the gate as fast as everyone else try going a tooth or so bigger on the rear sprocket.

Good luck! :aj:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom