Sticky tree sap or something on my helmet

MHawkmx

Mar 7, 2006
Alright,

Last season I discover a sticky film all over my Fox Carey Hart helmet. I have tried everything I can think of to clean it with no success.

I have used:

Hot soapy water

Ooops cleaner

Simple Green

Auto bug and tar remover

Goof Off Cleaner

A friend suggested WD-40 that did nothing

I got so disgusted I bought another identical helmet.

Anybody have any ideas on what might work?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
MHawkmx said:
Anybody have any ideas on what might work?

A particle beam laser. :whoa:

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
spit on it and rub hard..lol wd40 will take it off. need to spray let soak for a few scrup hard and repeat until it's gone.. wd40 is the best thing to take pitch off. if it has been sitting for a long time and became hardend pitch or just big clumps of it you need to scrape off the bigger pieces with a scraper after soaking. and keep applying wd and rubbing untill it's gone. may take awhile pitch is some great stuff. lol

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
sham wow

Nova427

Jun 9, 2009
Well I'm not sure what the exact name of it is, but I'd call it Automotive clay, its kinda like silly putty, but takes stuff off the sureface of paint really well, You have to make sure the surface is wet, so either water or an water based solvent will work, just make sure to keep the surface wet and rub the clay back and forth over the sap till it's gone...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
sandpaper
sand blaster
fire

May 10, 2007
Nova427 said:
Well I'm not sure what the exact name of it is, but I'd call it Automotive clay, its kinda like silly putty, but takes stuff off the sureface of paint really well, You have to make sure the surface is wet, so either water or an water based solvent will work, just make sure to keep the surface wet and rub the clay back and forth over the sap till it's gone...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-18&Category_Code=Zaino

im sure you could find cheaper then that though.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
A particle beam laser. :whoa:
AKA Rich's fancy-boy TIG welder.
Improves helmet ventilation, too.

2 strokes 4-ever, I'm afraid his whole helmet might disappear with the space-age absorbancy of the Sham Wow.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I always get a new helmet when mine get dirty, same goes for my shortas.

brithgob

Sep 16, 2020
Try this to clean pine tar and gunk off your helmet. It works.

"Zep heavy duty hand cleaner with pumice" (orange bottle). Apply small amount to areas and rub clean with your fingers and rinse.

Top Bottom