dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Which offers better engine protection on a 2 stroke, Castor or Synthetic premix.

I just would like to know what people are using and if they are pleased with their results. I did a search on premix and I got mixed opinions on using a castor oil because it causes residue in the power valve.

Can anyone validate this for me.

Please let me know what premix you are using and if you are happy with it and any bad experiences with other premixes.

Thanks

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Castor smells awesome........ and I think that's why most riders run it. If you're a super fast, always wide open rider, it's good for those conditions. Otherwise, it'll gum up the powervalve and make a constant maintainance issue for you..... and it doesn't stay mixed with fuel well under about 30*F. I say go with a well known top brand synthetic, mix at 40:1, and jet accordingly. You'll be good.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Amsoil is the best 2-stroke oil I found so far. Smells good too. Do some searches in the forums. There is plenty of history on the subject.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I have been hearing a lot of good things about Amsoil but none of the dealers or shops near me sell the stuff. Is Amsoil a synthetic or a castor oil and is it expensive or fairly cheap?

As far as the castor oil. Would it cause me problems because I am not a wide open throttle rider? I also heard that if you use a castor oil you will not be able to use the left over premix that you have from the previous weekend because the oil breaks down and will offer less protection. Is this true???

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
why would you want to use caster oil? stick with synthetic premix oils they're a lot less hassle. plus who really cares what your exhaust smells like? let the people behind you smell it instead!!

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
In my original post I was asking for which offers the best protection and less hassle. I really do not care what my exhauste smells like because when I am riding I cannot smell it anyways. I just wanted to get some views between castor and sythetic premix.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
dmdee99 said:
I also heard that if you use a castor oil you will not be able to use the left over premix that you have from the previous weekend because the oil breaks down and will offer less protection. Is this true???

Not true, I do it all the time with Maxima 927. Maybe harmful if you leave it in below-freezing garage for a couple of weeks. But even at that, I've left model airplane fuel with castor lubricant sit two years in my garage in sealed metal can with no ill effects--but that is alcohol/castor/nitomethane mix, not gasoline/castor.

Also, if you are talking about 927, it is NOT a true pure castor oil mix. According to manufacturer: "Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust & corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly." So, it appears it has Castor AND synthetic oil in the mix. I've never had any extra residue or carbon buildup using 927 compared to synthetics I've used.

The beauty--and the problem--with Castor is the much higher flashpoint (for instance, 927 has a 420 flashpoint compared to 240-280 for Maxima synthetics). A lot of people believe this gives you added protection at very high rpm and temps but also leads to the burnt-honey-like residue castor is often associated with. But I love 927 in my bikes. On model airplanes, I run castor in my old iron sleeve engines and synth or synth/castor blend in my newer coated engines.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dmdee99 said:
In my original post I was asking for which offers the best protection and less hassle.

Buy a good quality oil (synthetic blend or synthetic) designed for YOUR type of riding. You don't "need" castor based oil. Even Maxima will tell that to MOST of the people who are convinced they do, and you don't need high end synthetics like Motul 800 unless you can generate enough heat and load to burn it off. Most MX and trail riders who buy these high end oils can't so the oil can't do the job it was designed for.

Fitting an oil that fits your application is more critical than the "type" or brand. Sites like Maxima USA do an excellent job of guiding you to the correct oil for your riding.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Thanks Rich

That make alot of sense.

What type of oil do you suggest for trail riding and occasional MX track riding. I am rarely at WOT.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dmdee99 said:
What type of oil do you suggest for trail riding and occasional MX track riding.

Pick something that you can find locally all the time that is designed to be run at 32:1 - 40:1. Find out what the local dealers (or auto parts stores) stock and pick one of the name brands that they stock all the time. It's pretty hard to buy a bad oil from a big name.

The OEM branded oils are all very good for your purposes. Yamalube 2R is easy to find, affordable, and has proven itself over the years. Honda. Suzuki and Kaw also have branded oils that work well. Maxima is stocked by a lot of dealers and their Super M product is excellent.

Their are lots of excellent choices without having to spend $10/quart on some "super trick" oil sold via pyramid scheme . ;)

matt_12345

Mar 14, 2008
i run motul 800 2t in my rm. its expensive as hell here 20$ a quart but i have tryed other oil such as belray and fouled a plug in 1 ride.. i mix at 50:1 and all i'll use is motul.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Maxima Super M for years and years. No reason here to change.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
in my old bike i run only one bottle (1 litre) in my dt 125 engine of shell castor for karting... uffff, after that bottle the piston crown had more or less 1 mm of carbon on top...
ipone and motorex are quite good synths ( at least i think so), but now i use amsoil dominator @ 32:1 or 3% and i´m very happy...

shooter114

Feb 23, 2008
hey i use a FULLY synthetic oil for my gearbox and premix and find this is pretty easy to use , offers good protection and i run it at a 32:1 ratio (as specified by the manufacturer) so no need to change the stock carby settings depending on your climate. IMHO look up your manufacturers specs for your climate and fuel/oil ratio and jetting .

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Thanks everyone for you advice.

I am going to try Super M to see how it works. It says that it is a synthetic blend with castor also mixed in it (I think). I am going to give that a try and see how it works. Anyone have any bad/good experiences with Super M?

I am using it because most all the shops around me stock it so it is easy to get and it is a bit cheaper than some of the other premixes they sell.

Let me know.

Thanks again.

Tomsti

Mar 17, 2008
Maxima Super M - I trail ride in WA so with the mud and rain there can be some slow going. I have never had an issue mixed 40:1 (97 CR250) I guess the final outcome would depend on how the individual bike is final jetted.

Top Bottom