scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
It's hard to believe that the last time I got out on the bike was April 2010 when we went to Moab. :bang:
That was a great trip :cool:

Why??? mostly cash, greenbacks, dinero, scratch. Some of it's time and lack of riding buddies that still actually ride but mostly it's the cost of getting out.

For the last 10 years, most of my rides have been organized D37 or Club races. Average cost was about $250 per race with fuel etc plus the cost to replace the stuff I break.
Since my income is down 40% of what it used to be, budget cuts had to be made, so sadly the bike sits and waits.

Kind of depressing I know, but I hadn't posted here in a while and thought I'd say hello. Would love to see this economic recovery actually start to recover.

It's funny how obsessed I used to get with a new bike or new gear or....(fill in the blank). I don't see that happening again anytime soon.

The good news is, the families doing great, happy healthy and the boys are growing big and strong.

I just miss getting out with all of you. I hope everyones doing well.
I'll see yo when I see you.
Tim out.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Maybe we can all just meet up at some patch of dirt somewhere with our bikes in our trucks and just hang out and pretend like we still ride. We can bench race and talk about the glory days. Like the time everyone was waiting on me and my bike would not start. I had to pull that damned rag out of my air box right in front of everyone. At least I made everyone smile.

Tim - If you rain out on Saturday night you know where we will be.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I miss the old group rides and TWMC outings. For a good 7 or 8 years I always had somewhere to go on the weekends. I think the last two DRNer's I saw were Thumbsy at the Malcolm Smith protest a few years ago and Pvt Joker at the mall during xmas.

I think my last actual ride was probably around May of last year. I mainly fell out of it due to lack of people to ride with. I did a few solo ds rides but that got boring quick.

I actually sold all 3 bikes and bought a quad for my 4 year old and one for myself. :bang: I absolutely do not enjoy the quad but it does allow me to spend some quality time with my daughter.

I am getting the two wheel itch again and have been looking up used 2 strokes. Hopefully the cycle will end and we can get this group going again.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
thumbs said:
Like the time everyone was waiting on me and my bike would not start. I had to pull that damned rag out of my air box right in front of everyone. .

That was a great one.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
thumbs said:
Maybe we can all just meet up at some patch of dirt somewhere with our bikes in our trucks and just hang out and pretend like we still ride. We can bench race and talk about the glory days. Like the time everyone was waiting on me and my bike would not start. I had to pull that damned rag out of my air box right in front of everyone. At least I made everyone smile.

Tim - If you rain out on Saturday night you know where we will be.

Hey thumbs, isnt that what the past several KM trips have been? Plan on doing the same this 4th-O-July, haul all the gear up the mtn. which now includes 4 bikes, and accompanying crap sit around the fire and swap stories, talk about bbq and mop sauces and eat :blah:

I cant say I have ridden much, and when I do, I have seldom put together a finish let alone a win which is needed for a x-fer from the "Old men who still ride little 2-strokes" class. Yellow bar on my tombstone...

Jay dub dub, a qwad? seriously? :nener:

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
The last time I rode was up at Gorman when Eel came back to town to pick up the Husky that sat in my storage for 3 years. Crap I can't even remember the exact date it was so long ago, maybe sometime in Jan 2011.

I miss the Wrecking Crew adventures and hijinks. My precious few days a month of free time are spent on a Street Bike now.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Well ... I still have my dirt bikes .. mostly because they aren't worth anything and I don't want to see someone drive away with them for a few pennies. Still working, so it's not finances, but more arthritus (rigormortis?), but that's improving.

No excuse really ... could join a vet moto club and get my riding in while doing what I'm best at (but still not so great). But getting up at 5 am to race ..sheeesh.

I was at Milestone two weeks ago ..just goofing on the vet track.

If I were to try enduros again, I'd do it right and get a toy hauler. Wait a minute, I forgot ...... I'm old and getting older. Maybe that's why I do my best riding behind a keyboard. :whoa:

Trying to take up the shooting hobby, so I've bought guns and gone to the shooting range (getting ready for armageddon).

My daughter keeps calling me from her dorm in San Francisco and keeps talking about buying a dual sport (crappy car parking in the City). The last conversation was about turning the KX125 into a dual sport so she could use it. Sadly, I had to inform her that this is not possible or even practical.

She doesn't ride often, but her riding is something like this -

1. Starts off at a moderate pace, then when she sets her mind to it, she rides scorching fast and steady.

2. She crashes, loses all confidence and from then on, rides around at 3 mph looking directly down at her front wheel and crashes several more times.

I definitely started something with this motorcycle thing ....

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
holeshot said:
Trying to take up the shooting hobby, so I've bought guns and gone to the shooting range (getting ready for armagedon)./QUOTE]

I have done the same thing. Which range are you frequenting?

Just in case you havent seen it.... calguns.com is a decent site and they have group shoots similar to what we used to have here.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rode about a week ago. But I have to admit, I was only testing a customers bike.

I would love to organize another 'Corona' ride but things have really changed around here since the last Corona ride. No more bamboo tunnel, no more White Sands and the local Sheriff is now patrolling the hills on quads they bought using our green sticker money. :bang: Bastages!!! :yell:

We still ride out of the neighborhood but you have to be on a dual sport to get away with it.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
My business was down 75% in 2010 but this year it has picked up. We have only been out a couple times this year. We did the TWMC Keg Run in April and hope to do more events but it all depends on money.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've been averaging only 2 rides a year for the past 2 or 3 years. Way too little for my tastes...

I did ride less than 3 weeks ago at Ballinger Canyon with Placelast and one of his sons. That inspired me to ride much more often. But I can't go this weekend, or the weekend after that, or the weekend after that....

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
VCMC Gorman qualifire next weekend. Im in, anyone else?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I saw that on the calender. Always a fun race.

I'll be coaching my boys baseball team, which I love doing, that weekend. Have fun .

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
JWW said:
holeshot said:
Trying to take up the shooting hobby, so I've bought guns and gone to the shooting range (getting ready for armageddon)./QUOTE]

I have done the same thing. Which range are you frequenting?

Just in case you havent seen it.... calguns.com is a decent site and they have group shoots similar to what we used to have here.

I've been to Lytle Creek a few times (it's the closest). I've been to Calguns.com ... lots of info there. I've always been interested in this, but for some reason didn't have much to do with it during the past 30 years or so. :whoa: Guns can also be very addicting.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
2strok4fun said:
VCMC Gorman qualifire next weekend. Im in, anyone else?

I've been looking at that.. maybe someday I'll ride it together with my daughter (I hope the opportunity comes before I hang up my riding boots).

Nice format ...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
It's been awhile for me as well. The Moab trip was fantastic, I had an awesome time. I broke some toes and separated my shoulder racing up here last year (damn trees always in the way) and that kinda took some wind out of my sails. Plus I got nice and fat drinking sweet Pacific NW beers, so racing was less than successful - I DNFd many, many times - but it was just so I could go back to my truck for an IPA - I could have finished if I wanted to!

I am back in decent shape and will be making another run at PNW racing domination here in a few weeks. The Gas Gas is doing fine, though I'm sure this will elicit some snide remarks from the peanut gallery.

One thing I have realized is that what I really enjoyed down in So Cal was everyone's company, just as much or more than the riding/racing. I guess what I'm saying is - I miss you knuckleheads! The riding is great up here, but I miss the camaraderie. :)

Last edited:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
winter is setting in on my side of the Pacific so too much rain since the first weekend this month, I managed 2 laps of a local walking trail on my gas gas txt (trials bike). The only people walking took about 3/4 hour to go around and my ride time was similar. They were shocked at first but then could not find a tyre mark to complain about so became quite friendly and as always wanted to know where the seat was??

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
The wife and I rode at Moon Rocks on 05/13/11. We sometimes get freebie nights at the Reno Peppermill so that time we brought the bikes along and rode out there before checking in on a Friday night. It was a great day(no black cats) but was snowing by Sunday. Before that was with the grandkids at Hollister Hills during Easter break. Thanks Giving before that. :ride:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
4th-O-July, back up to Kennedy for camping and riding. I hope to actually get some riding in this time, my kids will be able to handle some of the trails now, still on their little ttr-90 and pw-80

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've only ridden a few times in the last two years since my last major break.

I, too, have taken up competitive shooting. Whenever I'm in SoCal I try to hit the Thursday night indoor match in Oceanside.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
2strok4fun said:
4th-O-July, back up to Kennedy for camping and riding.

Watch out for high creeks!

My guess is some of the trails like Rattlesnake are not passable yet, due to high water. Will still have lots of water by early July.

FWIW, there is still snow in some spots. These are from Sherman Peak, taken today.

Attachments

• sherman_peak_1.jpg
    sherman_peak_1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 280
  • sherman_peak_4.jpg
    sherman_peak_4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 275

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Yes Dave, there should be a good amount of water this year. I was up in Mammoth last weekend of May and there is a ton of snow left up there. It also snowed almost a foot while we were there.

Eel, you coming down?

Shot of Twin Lakes. When I left there at 8:45pm the lake was about 80% ice.

Twin Lakes

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Great to see the old group still here and riding. It seems like we all have reasons and life changes for not riding much anymore and I as well, however it would be great to get back into the riding phase again. The only problem is this boy is way out of shape and couldnt keep up with you young whipper snappers anymore.

Top Bottom