svtman79

Oct 29, 2009
It is time to put new tires on my KDX220. Right now I am running Maxxis. Not sure of the model. I was wondering what the majority of you guys are running. I was looking at the m403 and m404 by Bridgestone. I ride a variety of terrain, so anywhere from sandy MX track to the swamps in Louisiana.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
a quote from dwight Rudder

pirelli MT83/Scorpion Pro front tire in the wet and the MT16 when dry. I always run the MT16 rears and adjust air pressure for the situation. If wet I will run 11 PSI ft and 10 PSI rear. If dry I run 12 Psi ft and rear. I like the MT16 rear tire for the control it gives me in the woods.

I'm going to the the pirelli front as I have seen them on a few bikes down at kens motorcyle tires in woodstock, they have pretty aggressive side knobs to help keep from washing out and are cut very square and sharp as compared to the 756's I have.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
After agonzing for a while, I ended up with a Continental Gelande Sport rear...

(not where I bought them, this is a local place to me in Dayton)
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL TIRES/Continental/conti_gelande_sport.htm

It's an intermediate MX tire, but I use it for fun enduro riding. I was worried that it was going to end up being an entertaining but expensive experiment with a "race tire", but after maybe 5 all day outings on some pretty nasty / rocky terrain (interspersed with Ohio slime clay) they are holding up very well.

It hooks up very well on both rocks and do well with mud, and I have not ripped off any knobs yet. To be honest, I bought them on tread pattern alone... I wanted big wide knobs (so they didn't wear too quick) with a big open pattern (so the mud would clear easily).

I'll see how they wear after a full season, but so far I am very happy with it.

For my front, I have a left over Kenda Trackmaster II that I had on an old KLR-250. I got that one because it was a cheap street legal knobbie, and it seems to be working fine up there as well, though it clogs pretty easily.

My riding buddies were experimenting with the Tera Flex (the new Chinese ones), and we actually got one on a KDX-220. On the plus side, we must have forgotten to tighten the rim lock, and on his first ride he spun the valve right out of the tube. We tightened down the rim lock back at the truck, and he kept riding with no air and did fine (no rim damage, decent hookup). So those "terror flex" super stiff sidewalls did their job in a run flat scenario.

On the down side, those same uber stiff sidewalls makes them a BEAR to mount, especially if it is cold out. And he has also already ripped off one knob. So I'd take my Conti's over his Terra flex so far.

On my KLR-250, I was using the Kenda Trackmaster rear, which wasn't half bad for a street legal knobbie. The pattern was close together and would clog up, and on the KLR-250 (17 RWHP on a good day) they were very difficult to clear when things got really ugly. But for mixed street and dirt they did better then I would have expected.

I'm no expert though, so I welcome a good tire thread, especially for pure offroad.

treelimb

Mar 10, 2010
michelin ac10 on the rear
kenda millville front right now for me and it seems to be a good LONG WEARING combo for ne alabama trails that vary from clay/mud to rock/huge tree roots and everything in between

Top Bottom