Transmission question - newly rebuilt bottom end

JFRM250

Feb 21, 2019
Hi all. First things first. Disclaimer. I’m a total mechanic novice undergoing my first tear down and rebuild of the bottom end and overall it’s been going pretty well.

I’m at the point where I have reassembled and installed the external shifter mechanism after having sealed up the cases of coarse. Reinstalling the main and countershafts of the transmission went well overall, and at that time I shifted via the drum, watching the forks move when turning the drum and all that. Guide said to set to neutral for reassembly for whatever reason so I did so—-main and countershafts spinning freely/smoothly.

So as said I reassembled the external shifter and as you’ll see in the video it’s all put together and looks good. I followed the guide step-by-step. So it said to check shifting by installing the gearshift lever and holding the shaft in place, and that’s all fine and well and everything seems OK, but...

Is it perfectly normal for the main/counter shafts to spin freely regardless of being in gear? There's no clutch assembled just yet at this point but before I finish up with the bottom end and remount in the frame I wanted to be sure that the shafts SHOULD spin freely at this juncture (my 'logic' being that there's nothing putting resistance/pressure on the gears when they're engaged given the clutch/primary gear aren't yet connected to the main shaft---hence the crank itself isn't in the picture yet).

Please watch and listen to my commentary if any of the above is unclear. Thanks for confirming so I can reassemble 'in confidence' (or mostly so!) :)

JFRM250

Feb 21, 2019
Never mind. Figured it out. If shift into gear, both shafts will move together. If shift into neutral, you can hold one shaft and the other will continue to spin. All good. Onward.

Top Bottom