schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
there's gotta be one, unfortunantly i'm having issues.

sorry about the several threads, this'll be my last for a while!

I'm grateful for any help I can get!

thanks!

-Alex

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
First, make sure there there is nothing (bolts, kickstart, shifter, clutch, flywheel, ANYTHING) interfering with the split. If necessary, buy the tool. Heating the area around the crankshaft bearings may help. What motor are you splitting? It could make a difference. KTM 85 practically split itself once I got the flywheel off.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Drain the fluids. Take the rotor nut, crank main gear nut and clutch basket nut off with an impact first. You do not have to take the shifting mechanism apart, just slide out the shifter shaft. Take the kick starter mechanism out. Keep the cases parallel while splitting, and putting back together. Keep it on its right side, once apart, check the counter and main shaft for any washers, or shifting fork shafts that may be stuck, and get them back where they belong. Hope you have a decent splitter, and you can use it to push the crank out of the right half, if need be. If you have doubts about mixing washers, a parts microfiche usually gives the proper dimensions and location. Use large c clamps to pull the cases back together, at the engine mount locations, enough that the screws can do it the rest of the way. Always check for the shafts to spin freely, in neutral, check for the crank to be centered and finish. Kawasaki 2 strokes are the only manual that I know says to use hot cold to work on their bottom ends, probably cause they are the tightest. The newer thumpers dang near fall apart also, a dead blow pops CRF's apart. If the bearings stick to the shaft and not the bearing bore, check both carefully, and at least put bearing lock to help hold the bearing from spinning in the bore.

Top Bottom