Flynpumpkin

Jul 22, 2003
Looking at the Yamaha TTR90 and the Kawasaki KLX110. My boy is 9, he's coming off of a 2001 KTM LC50 Pro Senior. I know that those bikes probably seem like a step backwards, but he's a pretty "casual" rider and doesn't use the LC to potential. He got it as a "hand-me-down" from his older brother. He handles it well but is not what you'd call fast on it. I have a guy at work who wants to buy it and pay top dollar, so I think I'm gonna strike while the iron is hot. Maybe he will progress quicker with one of these bikes. I think they may be better trail bikes than the LC. So far he's only been trail riding once, but like to go to the motox parks, though he's not a high flyer. I just hope he doesn't grow out of it too quickly, and that they hold their value. The plus on the Yamaha side is electric start, but it's a little more money than the Kawi. Anyone have experience with these? Opinions on either?
Thanks

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
He might grow out of it pretty fast. But I would look into a Honda XR 80..

I feel that the Honda XRs are the greatest beginner bikes to learn on, yet theyre flexible enough to me mastered and manhandled as well. If he doesent want clutch, and wants semi-automatic, I would still keep it with the XRs.

Either the XR-70 (semi-automatic)
or the XR-80 (clutch)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The KLX and TTr are both very heavy and sluggish. Both use engines that were originally designed for ATV's.

My son has an XR70r and it is a great little machine. His friend has the TTr and my son's XR leaves it for dead. When these two kids they were on XR50's together they were always fender-to-fender so I'm sure its the bike that is slower.

If the auto-clutch is not an issue I'd go with the XR80. That's about the best (4 stroke) small bike in the world.

Another thing, that TTr looked 5 years old after about 5 hours of riding. I've always noticed that Yamahas trail bikes looked beat when they were new. They must use some real junk plastic.

Flynpumpkin

Jul 22, 2003
I let my boy try out my other boys KX65 last night. I had him try out the controls and shifting with me on the back, which made it a little hard to start out. He seemed to get the basic idea of everything, though he tended to rev it up quite a bit between shifts. He might burn out a clutch in his learning period. So this makes me consider the XR 80 and also the KX60. Any one with experience on the 60? There isn't a lot of price difference between the 60 and 65, so unless it's a much better trail bike it may be better to just go with the 65. Motor wise any of the four strokes would be ok for him I think, maybe even better. The big draw back to me is the suspension, the KTM is head and shoulders above any of those bikes, and that can be just as if not more important than the motor. He doesn't get big air on the mx tracks but I don't want him being bounced off the seat on something too stiff with no adjustability. I'm probably agonizing and analyzing this way too much!

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
I bought 4 new honda xr's last year...the xr50, xr70, xr80 and xr100. I have 4 kids, and they have all learned how to ride on thier respective bikes. Learning includes falling, and i have to tell you. The way the Hondas have held up has been phenomenal! The plastics look great, the bikes run excellent, and the kids have more fun every time they ride. Memorial day made it one year since i bought the bikes..so there has been ample time to tell. The honda's are, in my opinion, the single best brand in the world when it comes to small four stroke learner bikes. If your considering a ttr90 or klx110, I'd suggest, instead, the honda xr70r.....similar in size (seat hieght), auto clutch and three speed, and much better priced...I got the 70 for $1600 out-the-door...and that included california green sticker and california sales tax. All ive done is change the oil regularly, lube the chains occasionally, and the kids have ridden the hell out of em. crash after crash, the plastics still look new after each washing...what a value.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I strongly agree with the XRs as the best learner's bikes. I learned on my XR200 (which I bought a year ago August 1), and now I'm ready for another bike. From my experience, the XRs are set up so that they inspire confidence to help new riders learn faster, not to mention that they have some of the best engines on the planet. They will run forever. After they're broken in they start on the first kick, even if it's 40 degrees (F) outside!

My vote is for the XR 80. He's ready for a clutch!

ttrider

Jun 29, 2003
the ttr. I had one for my first bike and they are great, easy to ride fast or slow, very user friendly. You shouldnt jump it at all though. It has horrible suspension, even over the smallest of jumps it bottoms out.

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
Another vote for the XR80.Make the kid learn the clutch,he and you will be glad you did.
I keep hearing more and more about all the TTR"s being fragile.Hmmmm.
I am not a "Hondas are number one" guy,But little XR's are amazing little bikes,and built to last. Doug

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom