OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Lorin had called me earlier in the week about a Sunday ride. I told him if it was only 30 degrees or so, I wasn't riding!! It was 27 as I rolled into the parking area by the creek and started to suit up. COLD dang it!! A few snowflakes were floating around as well. Lorin said it would be better in the trees...... it was kinda hard to hear him though as he was suiting up in the cab of his truck with the heater on. The rest of the crew showed up right on time. It looked like a blue bike only ride! 4 YZ 250s and a YZ450. Rick, a fast B class Enduro guy led the way. Lorin and another 250 guy Dave?.. were in the middle with me and the 450 guy in the rear. Once we got rolling I didn't notice the cold at all. Lorin seemed to notice tiny things in the trail as he threw himself in the dirt several times to look at things close up. I never did figure out what he was looking for ...... Rick took us through some pretty gnarly sections I had never ridden before... a couple parts looked like no one had ridden them before judging by the amount of brush we busted through. After a quick break at the trucks, I dropped off my sweat shirt and Rick announced we were going "North of the road" This required riding through tunnels under the freeway on ice! The trails over there were super fun with a lot of ducking under trees, and some good technical root and rock ledge covered hill climbs. We all had a blast and no one broke themselves or the bikes. I was ready for another loop, but everyone else wanted to go watch some football game... Go figger!!?

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Glad you had a good ride Butch. I sure want to get back there before they close it down. I've been there 1 time and it was by myself, so I didn't get to see much. It's too easy to get lost without someone who knows their way around.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by OldMaiconut
Lorin seemed to notice tiny things in the trail as he threw himself in the dirt several times to look at things close up. I never did figure out what he was looking for ......

LMAO Sorry Lorin, but hey it is funny. ;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
That's interesting, Lorin is into soil samples and Sawblade is a tree surgeon. :silly:&nbsp;&nbsp;

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
It is one of those "Zen things," where you become one with the dirt to better understand it! As soon as Dunlop makes a tire that will stick the corners with slow, overweight people riding, I will buy it. The riding WAS really good, even though I caught more than a little grief from each of the guys that showed up for picking such a cold morning. The good side of it was, that it turned out beautifully. I'm doing everything I can to make a woods rider out of Butch (I need to keep him off of those dang mx tracks), and would probably attempt to do the same with Jay if he lived a little closer.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
sounds like uhhhh....fun.

butch, why aren't you racing the state series in the vintage class? there were only maybe four vintage bikes there. they were pretty quick though.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
I was out of town for a couple days last week and had wife duty on Saturday. Look for me at Wellston. I will be running my 76 Maico AW250.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
we'll have to miss wellston, due to basketball. we'll probably only make about half the series.

tomthumb

Apr 12, 2000
I rode there over thanksgiving three different times with my dad and my son and had a blast. I grew up riding there and help my dad and other cut most of the existing trails north and south of the I-240. The new black top road they put in is going to cause some problems in the near future if riders don’t stay off of it and the restricted point it’s located on. You guys and gals should be aware, it is against the LAW (and has been for a long time) to ride on the other side of I-240 and you could receive a stiff fine. You can’t run from the rangers, they’ll just go to the parking area and wait for you by your truck. Obey the rules and support the Okie Dirt Riders efforts and we may all get to enjoy the area for future rides.

tomthumb
Charter Member OKIE Dirt Riders
MTDR President
www.mtdr.net

Top Bottom