Used 2005 CRF450R - What maintenace should I do?

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I am 35 years old and have just returned to the sport after being away for about 18 years (my last 2 bikes were CR125s). I just bought a used 2005 CRF450R with 42 hours on it. The bike is in great shape and the previous owner (40 year old getting out of the sport) seem very conscious about maintenance. Other than checking the valve clearances and other routine maintenance, I do not plan on doing anything with the top end, valves, springs, etc. (assuming the valve clearance are within spec). Does this appear to be a logical approach? Does anybody think that riding a full season and getting to around 80 hours or so (assuming the valve clearances or OK) is a bad idea? I would consider myself to be a novice rider which means I will likely be using a very small portion of the bikes power.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
My husband has had 5 four-strokes (450 & 426), and I've had my trusty '03 YZ 250F for a few years now. Knock on wood, we've never had any motor issues, or even had to reshim a valve! We change the oil every 2-4 rides (use Scotts stainless oil filters), clean the air filter regularly, and check the valve clearances every 10-15 hours, or if the bikes are ever hard to start. Done a few routine ring or top end jobs just because we had the parts and to keep things fresh, replaced a clutch or two, and put a new cam chain in my 250F last year while doing a top end, just for cheap insurance. All and all, they have been super reliable, and the maintenance has been mimimal, outside of the basics. The CRF 450 is a great engine, and great bike.

:ride:

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I agree with Nikki.

I just bought a very very slightly used 05 CRF450 and we are the same age. After searching for info, Nikki hit the important stuff. Change your oil regularly (and oil filter), if it gets hard to start, check the valves, clean your air filter regularly, etc.....

oldgoat

Oct 12, 2003
Might i add that you should grease the suspension linkage and steering head bearings, oh yeah,and the swing arm bearings. Easy to keep fresh, a bear to change when their froze up from lack of grease.

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
Thanks for the replies. It is reassuring to hear that if I keep up on the maintenance then I shouldn't have any major surprises. I just ordered a Scott's oil filter and an additional air filter so that I have a clean spare available. All in all, the maintenance doesn't seem all that difficult or unreasonable. I will likely check the valves this weekend and grease the suspension bearings when I have the wheel off to replace the sprocket in a couple of weeks. Does anybody have any other maintenance tips or things to watch for on this bike? The last time I owned a bike the world was full of two strokes (a four stroke MX bike was unheard of) so this four stroke thing is still new to me.

Sorry it took so long to reply as my cable modem was not working until yesterday.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Do not idle for long periods,and stay off the rev limiter.If your springs are a little weak and you like to shift after the power is over, you will have a better chance of floating a valve. Be consistent on checking your valve clearance every 10 hrs,if they do start to move you want to jump right on it.Also check into this,the 06's are making a pretty loud noise by the kicker,it is the idle gear,all you have to do is put 40cc's of more oil in it. I am not sure if this is a problem with the 05,but investigate.

Top Bottom