butasan

Nov 25, 2007
I am getting tired of loading tools, pressure washer, tires, and other stuff on my truck bed every time I go riding.

I am leaning toward getting a van.

What would be the best van for motocross/dirtbiking?

I'm thinking ford E-250.

1. Will I be able to use 2nd seat when I load bikes?
2. Will the cargo height enough?
3. Will I be able to load 3 bikes?

Last edited:

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
i loaded up 2- 500 class bikes in a full size van- ( a empty van with just the 2 front seats)
no problems- you need to turn them sideways a lil to get them in you should be able to get 2-3 easy
place them in opposite each other-
1 was a cr 500 with tall bars- they stand up after getting past the rear doors-
it was a full size ford van-
vans are great!!!
you can sleep in the back at the site if you want to - with a air matrice or what ever -(no hard rocks from the campgrounds )
YES you can use the passenger seat while operating it- room in rear as well

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I have a Ford E150 Cargo Van.. It's a former Electricians service van, with a nice steel partition right behind the front seats.

I can get 3 full size bikes in it or two full size and two minis. Plus all of the assorted junk you need to take with you.

RACER557

Mar 11, 2007
i have a 95 ford shuttle bus. seats 30. ripped the seats out, modified the wheelchair lift, carry bike,gear,generator inside. also a fold up air mattress and frame. set up bus like a little apartment. tv,coffee maker,counter. also got 2 thirty gallon plastic tanks and hung them under the back of the bus to wash bikes. i usually carry 2 bikes but could fit more if needed. mileage is about 10 to 12 per gallon. this thing made life so much easier to go racing. get home unload food and shut it off. bikes stay put until monday night.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I do not believe the second row seat will fit, with a full size van. My son put a partion up exactly where the bike ended. Then built a bench/ storage box. Normal van, extended van, box van, bus, concept hauler!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ever think about a enclosed trailer? Less expense and all you do is hook up and go or drop it when you get home.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
I have the GMC Savana which works good for Portland as it rains just about every day for 7 months of the year. However I have my eye on the Dodge Sprinter
(aka Fraightliner) for a possible replacement.

D

Richter415

Jun 23, 2006
an extended e-350 will fit. If not if you leave the back seats in an e-250 you have to slide the back end of the bike over like a short bed truck.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I’ve driven vans for years…absolutely the best moto vehicle there is, in my opinion. I currently drive a Ford E150 with a 4.2-liter V6…not a lot of power, but enough to get the job done and the fuel mileage is respectable and I have no trouble hauling three bikes and gear. I bought the van new 11 years ago and currently have 173K miles on it…still going strong with the original motor and tranny. Most people don’t like vans anymore because they’re not as “cool” as pickup trucks and SUVs, but they sure are functional for motorcycle racers. I’ve always loved the fact that your stuff is enclosed and out of the elements. You also have a warm, comfortable place for changing in and out of gear and you can even sleep in a van when you need to. The other nice thing is if you stay in a hotel, your stuff is securely locked and out of sight and you don’t have to worry as much about thievery and chaining your bike up and carrying half your belongings into the hotel room with you.

Several of my buddies say they would never consider a van, yet, every time we ride in cold and/or rainy weather, they all want to carpool with me and hang out in my van.

A van has many of the advantages of an enclosed trailer without the hassle of towing and dealing with a trailer and all the wheel bearing maintenance and lights and electrics…not to mention the requirement of a robust tow vehicle. The downside to a van is that you will smell some gas fumes. But overall, they blow pickups away for dirt biking…

I’ve been dirt biking and racing motorcycles for 30 years, and every time I try another type of vehicle, I always return to a cargo van…

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom