varney

May 3, 2006
Rode my mxc for the last time on thur. We did 41 mi. at m20 0n thur afternoon.If the trail gets much wider I might take my truck next time.The connector north is still great and makes the ride worth it. Fri loaded the mxc and headed to lake cycle
to pick up my new exc450 I am a little scared about switching to a 4 stroke. I am not going to get a chance to test it until wed. Me and a buddy are heading north to the UP for a 4 day ride .We are going to Baraga then heading back east. After this trip we will have rode all the loops in the U.P. I will give a trail report when we get back.

Last edited by a moderator:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Congrats on the new 450! Yeah, it'll be a different ride from your 300, but the suspension and handling should be a positive for you over the older 300.

Someone suggested this to me, and I'll pass it on because it was a very good recommendation: put a 52 tooth rear on the back, you'll like the spread between 2nd and 3rd a lot better. Not that it feels bad stock, but it's a lot better when you change it.

varney

May 3, 2006
thanks for the heads up. Did you make any changes to stock suspension settings . How many miles can I expect to get on a tank? Im only going to through these two at you right now but I have about a 100 more.lol Im kind of a tite wad so I will probably wait till I get a little were on that sprocket .

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Suspension - I put .44 springs in the front and a Race Tech progressive spring in the back. I'm "big boned", so I needed the springs. The Race Tech progressive made a big difference. Those are the only suspension mods I think I'll need. I did put bleeders on the forks, these forks seem to pump up more than I've had in the past.

Expect 60-70 miles on a tank of gas.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
varney said:
Me and a buddy are heading north to the UP for a 4 day ride .We are going to Baraga then heading back east. After this trip we will have rode all the loops in the U.P. I will give a trail report when we get back.

Speaking of trucks - be sure to take yours to the Baraga Plains loop - it's every bit as wide as White Cloud where you thought about taking the truck after your last time there. You could easily run Baraga with a "jeep" type vehicle.
Catch Bass Lake and Porterfield Lake loops on your way back to "salvage" your need for tighter trails - both much nicer than Baraga for sure.

varney

May 3, 2006
Thanks Katoom125 Have you ever rode norway or forest islands? I have a old map of norway that shows two loops new map only shows one wondering if you can still ride both?

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
varney said:
Thanks Katoom125 Have you ever rode norway or forest islands? I have a old map of norway that shows two loops new map only shows one wondering if you can still ride both?

Yes, I have ridden Norway but years ago when it was almost impossible to follow (very poor markings and a lot of flooding). I haven't been there now for several years so can't answer today's conditions. I had heard that it was closed down for a time due to the flooding but that some bridges were put in and part of it was reopened. Some of the original trail was pretty good stuff (not all was).
No, I have never ridden Forest islands - I was told it's 95% two track - wide open, 4 wheeler, stuff so I never bothered.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Late last year I switched from an 03 EXC300 to an 05 EXC450. First ride I thought it was a tank, felt heavy, turned slow and stopped even slower. Took about 100 miles to adjust and am very happy with it. The extra weigh gives it a very planted and stable ride, adds to the confidence. I'm faster on the 450 even in the super tight stuff. Went to a 52 on the rear to slow it down a bit. ORV trail is 3rd gear all day, can run from nearly a stall to 45mph without shifting, Enduro trail is alot of 2nd gear with little shifting. Don't judge it by the first ride, it will take some getting used to.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
My sponsor (Jr.) lets me cruise the hills of East Jordan with his 450, and for a guy who started out life on a '64 BSA Enduro Star, it is a slice of heaven...

Run it a gear high for a while and youi'll love it !!!

Mike Sr.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom