rogert

Apr 11, 2002
Valving recomendation RM250

I have a RM250 -01 (kayaba forks) and i need to do some serious valving on it.
It does not work well on breaking whoops.
I have tried to soften the lowspeed on the basevalve by removing three of seven biggest schims, it became slight better but far from good.
I have search this forum and from what i can understand i need to fix the midvalve.
Does anyone have experience from this machine and a good stack-setup for basevalve and for the midvalve.
My weight is 190lbs(without ridinggear)

Regards
/Roger - From Sweden

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You need to keep the midvalve to base valve relationship roughly the same-so if you have softened the base valve you need to soften the mid.You may want to also try using more midvalve lift.You will need to remove the o ring and use a sping like on a older KYB.For midvalve lift 1.5mm would be alot of lift and 0.2mm a small amount.

rogert

Apr 11, 2002
Soften the midvalve OK.
But more lift, can you explain it further.
I have never changed the lift before.

/Roger

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The midvalve is allowed to float a small amount-ie lift of the piston face and bleed off the flow.The higher the lift the less sensitive the midvalve is.On your fork i think it has a o ring that preloads the stack.This gives almost no lift.You will have to remove the o ring and use a sping similar to the one on the base valve check plate.To get different lifts you can remove some shims on the stack that isnt on the piston side(the stack is a strnage hourglass shape).You will understand better when you take the midvalve apart.

thomasw

Apr 11, 2002
You can try to place a small schims in the basevale, place it inbetween 2:n and 3:d counting from the piston.

And the same on midvalve compression stack.

And on rebound stack a small one inbetween 1:st and 2:nd couting from piston

Works nice on mxtrack

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
I do not know what mid-valving was in my 01, but I can tell you what is in the 02. The 02 works very well in stock tune, and would be a good starting point.

Here's the stock data for the midvalve-

Nut
11x.25-2
12x.1
14x.1
18x.1
13x.1
23x.1-2
Piston
25x.1-3
24x.1-2
16x.1
14x.3
22x.4
spring & spacer
cupped washer
(all items on this side of the piston float on the spacer, but are held in position by the spring)

Hope this helps. I have the stock base valve data if you need that as well.

portish

Jan 5, 2003
hi do you have the stock float for the 02?

Bazooka Joe said:
I do not know what mid-valving was in my 01, but I can tell you what is in the 02. The 02 works very well in stock tune, and would be a good starting point.

Here's the stock data for the midvalve-

Nut
11x.25-2
12x.1
14x.1
18x.1
13x.1
23x.1-2
Piston
25x.1-3
24x.1-2
16x.1
14x.3
22x.4
spring & spacer
cupped washer
(all items on this side of the piston float on the spacer, but are held in position by the spring)

Hope this helps. I have the stock base valve data if you need that as well.

Top Bottom