FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
I've noticed on my old '82 RM 250 that there is some weeping of oil coming from around the kick starter shaft that goes into the case. Is this a portion of the case that needs to be kept air tight for the air and fuel charge to travel through? Just wondering. And does one have to split the case halves to remove/replace this seal? I don't have a maintenance/repair manual yet, sorry! :bang:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
My old RM370 and 400's have the distinct stupidity of having the kick starter inside the tranny, I have to split the cases to mess with the kick starter. Even the 79 I think, but 82, not for sure? The shaft looks pretty long in the parts schematics. The seal and or shaft are worn out. Any wear marks on the shaft, even if a finger nail does not drag, will mean a shorter seal life. The tranny does have a breather, but a sloppy seal can not hold all that oil slinging around. I would check the bearings or bore that carries the shaft for being too sloppy. The seal is still in the clutch cover, at least. Vintage Bob

FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
Thanks guys. I was pokin around last night and also noticed that there is a crack in front of the boss at the bottom rear of the case on the lift side where the swing-arm shaft goes through as well. Looks like I'm not gonna be doing a lot of riding on my "new" bike until I take it apart! I found cases for sale on fleabay, mebee I'll just buy them and save me some trouble. :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You now know a weak spot, or 2 in the cases. Ask the seller, make them commit. Then, if they lie, pay pal will help recover the loss. I have used this policy 4 times so far, on the 97 cr250 project, and have 1 more pending. I do not know, does not cut it, they know, any sketchy answers, there will be another set of cases. The 82 was a popular bike, Suzuki was the first to put the radiators basically where we see them now. Behind the front number plate was the dumbest idea ever! And, I believe Rich and Eric had something to do with the radiator location, as good as it gets? Vintage Bob

FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
A good set of cases on fleabay for $99. Not too bad. It was a trade from a guy at work. I'm really not into it too much so it's not like I'm pissed at the guy for it. Besides, I knew I was gonna have to do some fixing. 'Course I was at the dealer last night picking up my throttle cable and got a good look at some '09 KTM 250 XCs and a 300 XC. Nice! Expensive too! :yikes:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No lie about expensive. The bike I want is a little over 13,000, you would think it comes with a trailer? The last bike I bought for me, new, was around 2,000, in 1982. I really do not want another thumper, especially a used one! So fixing up old smokers seemed the route. I did not see the man hours in a ground up refurbishment. It is/was bad enough shagging parts that are no longer made, going through a pile of junk, looking for good junk? 2 bikes at once is twice the punishment. I have begrudgingly went from around 30 buys on fleabay to well over 100! And now 5 cases against slimy sellers, and ignorant sellers, take your pick. Once in a while a decent seller. 99 dollars for a decent set of cases, not too bad. Wiseco pulled all their part numbers for the RM's that I deal with, rod, cranks piston and rings, gone to fleabay! I hope for you that the 82 is still available. The oem still carries a lot of parts, and Service Honda is my scapegoat on ordering the cheapest oem parts. Fleabays' new oem parts are no cheaper than Service Hondas'. I have since went back to the red bikes, my yellows will get a lot of dust on them, till they find a better garage. Great yard bikes! Vintage Bob

FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
Say it ain't so Bob! Did I pick the wrong color? Guess I better buy all I can now huh?!?! :yikes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom