Westpoint, TN - any info appreciated

KDX220 Rider

Jul 28, 2000
I'm trying to find any info about riding at Westpoint, TN. I've seen people bring up the area, but haven't seen anything on the type of terrain, trail info, facilities (if any), etc.
Thanks,
KDX220 Rider

KDX220 Rider

Jul 28, 2000
Westpoint, TN

Tn_Tuxedo,
Thanks for the link! I'm assuming you're part of NATRA and have ridden at Westpoint. Is the riding similar to Turkey Bay at LBL? Do you ride on the same trails as the Enduro and HS that have been held there? If so, I'm assuming it's not kid friendly but I'm not sure.

Thanks again for any feedback,
KDX220 Rider

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
Westpoint is great if you like single track.
If you like wide open trails I don't think you would have much fun.

KDX220 Rider

Jul 28, 2000
bte,
Are there many elevation changes and tough hill climbs, or more flat terrain? Is the trail one continuous marked loop or do "sub trails" go off the main trail?

Thanks,
KDX220 Rider

xrsonly

Jan 21, 2004
KDX220 Rider said:
bte,
Are there many elevation changes and tough hill climbs, or more flat terrain? Is the trail one continuous marked loop or do "sub trails" go off the main trail?

I've been a NATRA member riding at Westpoint since moving to N. Alabama from the LBL area about a year ago.

Westpoint is great if you want some pretty gnarly single-track, off-cambers, and some pretty challenging hill-climbs. My opinion: It is NO PLACE to take a very young, inexperienced rider. If you are interested only in training for HS, you'll have to look long & hard for any place that beats WP.

LBL or Linton are far better for those who aren't training for races, or who simply enjoy a great day in the woods on a fine bike, without being interested in how fast you can get through and out of the trails.

Also, LBL & Linton are far more scenic rides, next to the lakes & all. It's great to stop by a lake overlook & enjoy the breeze or watch the boats & barges roll by.

At WP, the trails simply go up & down, & up & down & . . . You can ride 20 miles & not be 1/2 mile from where you started. It is what it is.

I started out my son dirt biking at LBL & Linton when he was 9 & I think they are better for family outings in the woods.

One last suggestion. If/when you go to WP, best to go with an experienced club member, or take a GPS. I've never been with another member (other than my son) but I started out with a GPS & it's a darn good thing. It's easy to get turned around & head the wrong way back to the truck. You could end up in Oklahoma. The trails are all one-way so you can't back-track when you start getting low on pre-mix.

My opinion.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered103

Westpoint

The Westpoint land is 2 to 3 time bigger than LBL.

Yes. It has everything LBL has plus much much more. With the one exception the Westpoint allows no jeeps or trucks. There are a lot of play areas that are much better than LBL. The are just harder to find. LBL is actually very compact compared to Westpoint.

It is just so big it is hard to find everything and the trails are not marked easy or hard. It is hard for beginners because they get on an easy trail and it turns hard unless you know where to go. You need to go with a person that knows the way around. I have been going up there for more than 10 years and on a near weekly basis and I still find new places. It is very beautiful with bluffs and huge waterfalls. Of hand I can think of 4 or 5 amazing waterfalls.

Bottom line is if you like bikes or quads it is 10 time better than LBL and all for $50 per year for full 24/7/356 access. If you like Jeeps and trucks its a no go.

1000's of HUGE hill climbs. Visit the NATRA (North Alabama Trail Riders Association) club meeting on the 2nd saturday at the Westpoint Community center and someone will show you around. 100's of miles of marked single track.

Best way to explore is run the RAD DAD National race in April just for fun. There will be tons of pros and semi's and 1000's of people and 100 miles of marked trails. It is really special. Lot of videos up of pervious years. Google RAD DAD National. I have a ton of vids of Westpoint on youtube.

Top Bottom