Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I guess this would be more of a motocross type question as oppossed to trails or woods.

I'm just curious what type of track people preferred to ride on. Outdoor MX type with long straight aways and moderate obsticles or more of a supercross or arenacross type track where the obsticles are more extreme, less speed and more technical?

I think I prefer the SX style where it's more technical and not so much WFO in 5th or 6th

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Definetly super technical SX stuff. I excell in this kind of track and just love the rythym and feeling you get when it all goes correctly. High speed is just a tad bit scarey for me. Especially eaglebridge. 5th gear, 110 foor drop off! I am mush more comfortable with a 3rd gear, 90 foot triple.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Seeing as how I ride a XR250R I like the long fast WFO tracks. Highlands MX is my favorite track, there are some nice places where I can hit 5th gear and really rip it. Most the jumps are tabletops and I can do those. The 100ft tabletop is great; I can jump my XR about 50-60ft on it. I can fly about 40ft off one of the big singles in 4th gear.

And then there is Mills Road MX. I am surprised that I made it away from that track. The jumps were steep and jolting. NOT trail bike friendly! I pulled a wicked stork air that I am amazed that I lived through, let alone landed! I over gassed it and got the bike perfectly vertical. This kid on an 80 thought it was amazing and asked me to do it again. I also cased it on a triple and did what I call a “dead fish”. To pull off a dead fish you have to case a jump. Your feet have to fly off the pegs and go over your head, but you can’t let go of the bars! After a few bounces at high speed you then must regain control of the bike and ride off.

Lee W.

johnnymoto

~SPONSOR~
Nov 9, 2000
Being of the mid-70's moto species , I prefer the outdoor higher speed tracks with maybe a double or two but made to be taken at speed. Outdoor tracks should flow freely with speed but when you try to mix sx into a outdoor mx track it throws everything off. Look at the outdoor nat's, they have doubles and triples but they a taken at speed. Stadium whoops and timing sections are fine in sx because the track area is limited for space but throw this into an outdoor track ,it kills the overall flow of the track. I have high respect for the sx racers they are fast and amazing at what they do but the big winners in sx are the promoters and factories. My main complaint is with the track design for amateurs at local races. They lay out the sx type outdoor track which is ok but the doubles and triples are peaked at the top of the landings, meaning if you come up short it spells diaster. I wathed an 80cc rider who was the fastest kid out there and was fearless. He would hit the triples the experts were hitting wideopen with no trouble until he came up a little short. The result was broken elbow,ankel and mangled knee that ended this 10-12 year olds' racing career. At one time you could count 14 regulars at the track with broken bones and other injuries that forced them to be sidelined. All the tracks have to do is round off the tops of the landing whereas if you did case it, you might get by with out broken bone. This is taking out a lot of fast upcoming racers out of our sport. If you builf it, they will try to be like Mcgrath and clear it and will make it 95% of the time but what about the other 5%? The fans like the excitement and crashes but what if that's your 10 year old son laid out on the track. As a racer we all know motocross is a dangerous sport but we need to take care of ourselves. This is just my 2 cents worth and if you're going to flame,me save it because if you're a racer with open eyes, you can step back and see it. :)

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Jonnymoto-
I come up short quite a bit on the 80 foot ridge to ridge double at the local track. No problems here, just have to use the right technique and nothing gets hurt.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I prefer the pee-wee tracks ;)

-jeffd

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by TwinSpar

Of course you do... you ride a mini-bike. ;)

Uh, isn't that mini-thumper you ride class legal in the 125 class?
By AMA rules you ride a mini-bike too!:p

I think I smell a race coming on.

You have been hanging around that stinker Taraker too much. You are even starting to sound like him...

-jeffd

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by jeffd

You have been hanging around that stinker Taraker too much. You are even starting to sound like him...

-jeffd

Not at all... You didn't hear me mention holeshot at any point in time so there is no way I'm starting to sound like him. :)

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
When I was a young gun, I loved launching my bike anytime I could. There was nothing better than getting good air between me and the earth. Now I find my bones cant take the beating of too much SX. I ride the local track, can put in some good laps, but at the end of the day, its hard to even cut the lawn!
The tracks I really love are the outdoor style MX tracks. They let you get the kind of speed to give you that killer rush, but its nothing too extreme. Long hairy uphills, and nice deep dropoffs, combined with some sweet doubles. The more the elevation changes, the more fun Im having. Now thats what Im talking about! :cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I like a good mix. I can't handle a 90 foot triple or Super technical stuff, but I can do some medium stuff. I would like a decent width track, not a one liner, with some 4th gear straights and some tacky dirt.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
Technical:
Steep, slippery,downhill, sharp right-hand turned single track with a rut and a log in the way and a 200 foot fall off to your left.............. THAT'S TECHNICAL ! SuperCross and technical should never occupy the same sentence :scream:

Riding is comprised of:
-throttle control
-turning
-weight distribution
-reading the track/trail
-weighting and un weighting the pegs
-obstacle avoidance/clearance
-jumping
-etc, etc, etc.

Jumping is only one SMALL part of knowing how to ride. A track/trail that comprises ALL of these abilities tests the TRUE RIDING ABILITY of the person at the controls.
Why do you think they call it SX...........................because it does.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Wide open tracks like Washougal are great, they're a blast to ride.. But so are arenacross tracks.
If given my choice between the two I would take Washougal any day.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom