What were YOU doing in June of 1999 ?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
DRN officially "went live" as we used to say, after much beta. We were ahead of the curve, trying to make custom forum software that would make posting easier and even ... wait for it ... make it easy to post pictures for folks without BS degrees.

And after all this time, we've never collected data on our members, or followed them around the net, or built full-on life profiles of them to sell to the highest bidder. We also never got rich!

Seems like just yesterday. Not! Seems like a lifetime. What were you doing in 1999?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In June of 99 I was posting on rec.motorcycles.dirt and just lurking on DRN in the begining, I didn't sign up right away. I had been posting out there since about 94-95 when I still had a SLIP account for my internet access. Typing that makes me feel OLD :-)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Which reminds me of story from 2006 ... Thump and I were in his garage working on bikes for the coming weekend. A couple of high school kids stopped by selling school raffle tickets or something. Door was open so they saw us and the bikes and of course were interested. After a few questions about the bikes, Thump said we were headed up to Nocona on Saturday. One of them looked and me and asked: "YOU still ride ?" He was shocked, LOL. He nearly fell over when I said "Yes, and my dad still rides too".

Yeah getting older sucks in some ways, but it beats the alternative.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Brian(young Stan Flemmings to some) still manage to go on a ride every now and then, we headed to good ole Muenster TX last month, from Nashville TN area.
image.jpeg

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Oh, and back to the original topic, in 1999, I guarantee we were either planning to go for a dirt bike ride, riding, or coming back from a ride. Not so much these days, we've both changed over to street bike riding.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I wonder what percentage of battered and bruised old DRNers are riding street bikes these days. I still ride my trials bikes (poorly) when I can but I haven't been on an MX bike in 5 or 6 years. But there is always some interesting project in my little shop.
busa_drag_bike_1.jpg

iammargarette

Aug 2, 2018
I was 5 years old then, and I remember being addicted to playing Harvest Moon and Super Mario. My mom got me a beagle to divert my attention from playing games, but Jack is not a fan of playing fetch he prefers to bury his dog toys in the backyard.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
In August of 1999 my wife and I moved home from living in London England for a year. I too was all over rec.motorcycles.dirt and was anxious to resume riding and racing. My wife was pregnant with our daughter. She's now a freshman at Mississippi State studying computer science in the engineering school.

I do recall this conversation with my wife...just before Tim [Lemming] picked me up to go to Casey, IL. My wife, "Let me get this straight, you're about to be picked up by a guy you met on the internet, and then the two of you are going to drive to southern, IL, to camp in a corn field and ride dirt bikes with a bunch of other people from the internet, that you don't know." I said, "Yep, that sounds about right." She said, "Have fun...I hope I see you again." It was fun...I broke ribs though during the team hare scramble.

BTW, does anyone remember Shaw520? Well, I do, he camped not too far from me at Casey. And, in all these years, I've ran into Shaw520 on a snow skiing board, and on a boat building board. Similar interests...I guess.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's funny that you describe it that way Tim. I had a similar conversation back then followed by a "you need to seek expensive professional help" look. Turns out some of the best people I've ever met were a direct result of the time spent on DRN.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I was born in Michigan and on RMD I talked a lot with a few guys who were from Michigan. One time when I was visiting family I decided to try and meet up with one of them.

Not thinking anything of it I proposed we meet at a Rest Area half way between where I was staying and where he lived. He paused and was confused and offered a different place that was a little farther for him but had a good restaurant off the exit.

We had a great time and he has been a lifelong friend and I got to ride with him and a few other Michiganders from RMD. We stay in contact to this day.

Turns out the rest areas in Michigan all got busted for drugs and sexual activity and it ended up catching some politicians or something too. I didn't know it at the time but he did and even after I offered him to meet a stranger from the Internet at a rest area he still agreed to meet up :) Crazy times.

Ivan

Top Bottom