drkelly

Apr 13, 2010
Hello everyone. Let me introduce myself. I'm 37 yrs old now, 6'2", 190 lbs. I started riding at the age of 11 or 12 (can't remember). I've been away from riding for about 6-7 years. I still have my last bike, which is a 1999 CR250. I previously owned 86, 89, 93, and 97 model CR250's. The Honda CR250 has always been my preferred bike, even after riding my buddies bikes. I bought my 99 model almost new in 99 (It had been ridden one time). It has a lot of hours on it though due to all the riding I did back between 1999-2003. Ahh, the days of being single with no responsibilities, LOL! I got out of riding and into 4wheeling due to my buddies getting out of it, and some injuries I sustained, but lately the desire to ride again has come back. My plan is to sell my 99 model and buy a newer CR250 with very low hours, but I am unsure of what year/years would be the best. My 99 model is the only one I owned that wouldn't bottom out on large jumps, but I hate the carburetor. The idle adjustment is not on the choke knob like the previous four CR250's I owned. It doesn't idle near as well as the other models I owned. It also has been absolutely ridiculously hard to start when the engine is cold since I bought it unless I install a new plug. I don't race, and never have. I am just a play rider who rides anywhere I can, woods, track, highway construction site, etc.

So there it is, let me know what year or years of the CR250's is probably the best.

Thanks,
Danny

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, when my old '99 CR250 got hard to start, replacing the reeds cured it.

That bike also liked to be laid over on its side for a good 10 seconds or so with the gas on before kicking it cold. Get gas running out the overflow tubes for a few seconds before you pick it up and kick. Not sure why, but it helps starting on some bikes. Mine also had a '97 ignition and carb, so maybe that helped.

The newer ones will feel lighter and have better suspension. I guess get as new as you can afford! A complete motor and bike redesign was in'02 and I remember the '02 was regarded as not having much low end stock, but a screaming top end. Lots of people were happy on the track with the stock motor, but the offroaders got it ported for more low end.

Never road an '02+, but I got to ride an '01 with a flywheel weight. Besides a lighter feel and more power up top, it was not much different motorwise than my dialed in '99.

drkelly

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Haha, I know all about laying it over when trying to start it cold! That is the only way I could ever get it to start. Gets old though, it has always still been hard to start even when laying it over. It use to frustrate me that my buddies didn't have to do that, and could kick their bike 1-3 times, and it would start. I replaced the reeds, and also swapped out the pilot jet I think it was trying to help the cold starting, but nothing worked. I think there was something wrong with the bikes that year because another guy I met and rode with one time said his 99 model was VERY hard to start too.

I've been doing some reading on this site, and have noticed that the 01 model gets lots of good reviews. Newer than 01 are hard to find around my area (Greensboro, NC). I guess that is because the 4-strokes started taking over around that time.

Thanks,
Danny

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I think you already had the best: the '93 (with some suspension work, perhaps). Good luck with whatever you do. People complain about the rigidity of the 1st generation aluminum frames, but unless there was a headshake issue, I probably couldn't tell the difference.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I have a friend with an 05 cr 250. Nice bike. Handled well. Good suspension. Definitely a top end motor. (I was riding an 06 yz250 at the time)
Before he did jet work with a JD jet kit, it ran rich and did not have a big hit. After he leaned it out, it lost some low end, but hit real hard on top. Though it seemed like it was a very short power band.

It is for sale, low-low hours. Greensboro, NC.

drkelly

Apr 13, 2010
TWRT said:
I have a friend with an 05 cr 250. Nice bike. Handled well. Good suspension. Definitely a top end motor. (I was riding an 06 yz250 at the time)
Before he did jet work with a JD jet kit, it ran rich and did not have a big hit. After he leaned it out, it lost some low end, but hit real hard on top. Though it seemed like it was a very short power band.

It is for sale, low-low hours. Greensboro, NC.

How much is he asking for it?

Thanks,
Danny

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
He is asking 2700. w/new tire on it and extra tire.
Previous owner never re-jetted. Rode it very little. Current owner re-jetted and rode it a few hours.
I can get you in touch with him for pictures, etc

drkelly

Apr 13, 2010
That is a little more than I was hoping to spend, plus I really should sell my 99 model first. It sounds great though with such low hours.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Maybe you should email me at daveh.trs@gmail.com.
We know of quite a few legal places to ride around GSO. I ride a lot and have access to a track. There are tracks around Winston-Salem and north, just into VA. There are also trail places around Winston-Salem and a huge one near Lake sugar tree MX park, called Catfish pond.

He has had the bike for a while and price may change.

Dave

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Old post, but ill have a go at it. Go win the lottery, buy a large warehouse, then buy all the Cr-250 from 73-07 and you will have the best 250 choices at your leasure... 1981_cr250.jpg bikepics-1284307-full.jpg honda-cr-250-1989-195222.jpg

Top Bottom