kuchera89

Jul 9, 2004
a couple weeks ago i hade my bike in my brothers truck and when i was checking if it was sturdy i grabbed the real wheel to shake it and the wheel did more shaking than the bike. i decided it was the bearing going bad so later I walked to the shop and they said they needed the old ones in order to order new ones so I took off the rear wheel and the retaining clip(it only had one)but i still cant get the bearings out. any suggestions?
do they all come out on one side or do they each come out on thier side?
thanks, michael

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Once you get the clip out take a punch from the oppisite side and pry the center spacer out of the way so the inner race of the bearing is exposed. Then pound on the inner race with the punch until it comes out. Work your way around it so it comes out straight. Repeat the process with the other side (you won't have to worry about the center spacer).

BTW, once you remove wheel bearings they are ruined and can not be reused.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Also on really stuck bearings I have had great luck with a little heating. I use oxy/acetylene, but you can use a simple propane torch too. Bearings would not come out without the heat, came right out with a little heat.

Carefull not to overdo it if you are using oxy, and also careful when you are hitting the bearings out with a hammer and punch not to hammer the hub and damage it. Only hit the bearing ;)

HTH,
Phil

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Best way to heat a hub is with a rag soaked in boiling water.
Wrap it around the hub and leave it for five minutes.
Using a torch on a hub is not a good idea.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
put the new bearings in the freezer for a while. Warn the hub with a warm rag (I put a wet rag in the microwave for this). Bearings go in without a fuss.

Top Bottom