Where to get wheels and hubs laced????

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
I picked up a set of black wheels (slightly used) laced and ready to go for my sons bike. The more I see the aftermarket wheels on his bike, the more I want to put them on my bike. The difference is that I'm gonna get new stuff for me... :thumb:

Have a 2003 Y250 that I'd like to put gold wheels on with red hubs (match the bars and triple clamp). Who's got a good deal on the new stuff? Where can I get it done?? Just what kind of money are we talking here? I paid $400 for the black wheels with bearings, rotors, sprockets and spacers, and was pretty sure I got a deal. I'm thinking the new stuff is pretty steep.

Thanks,
-Bob

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I haven't found anybody that has red hubs yet so if you do please let me know!

But a complete wheel for the front is $450 and the rear is $550 from motosportoutlet.com. Only choice from them is gold/gold. May have to special order different colors (if they can). $1k is ALOT!

I wanna do this too so I can use my stock ones as practice wheels so I can keep my race tires nice but its so much $$$ OUCH

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I find that it really is fairly easy to do this yourself. Make sure to note the pattern of the spokes before disassembly. I generally use all new stainless spokes with a wheel overhaul and I like to use anti seize on the threads. You will not likely get this treatment with a purchased set of wheels. I like using stock hubs because replacement parts/sprockets are listed and available at the dealership. There is no need to hunt for parts elsewhere. You may consider overhauling your hubs and painting them the proper color. Many OEM hubs are cast, so anodizing is not an option. By doing this yourself, you could save about $600.

Chris

yzflier97

Jan 2, 2002
Hey Bob, you also might consider going with your stock hubs and maybe look into having them powdercoat painted for more durability. I recently bought new outer rims for my yz and re-laced them myself. It's really not as hard as you would think. Just take some pictures of your old rims for reference before you cut out the old spokes. Also note the position of the hub in relation to the rim as well as where the valve stem and rim lock are in relation to the hub. Above all work slowly and evenly. By that i mean whatever you do to one spoke on one side do to the opposite spoke. A buddy and I built a wheel truing stand out of 2X4's. Hope this helps. you can e-mail me if you'd like with further questions. just post if you want my e-mail address.

yzflier97

Jan 2, 2002
Oh Bob by the way I paid about $200.00 a set for the front and rear wheels including the stainless steal spline drive spokes from motosports outlet. You can get their ad in any of the moto mags. I also had my frame powder coat painted locally for $125.00 so the hubs shouldn't cost that much if you can find someone to do it.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by hrc125rider
try ur local dealer but thats gonna put a hurtin on your wallet

only if they have a tech there that has a lot of experience, don't try the local hillbilly who's done it once and "oh, that's easy" :silly:

Top Bottom