Where to ride near Canon City/Pueblo CO

AFM744

Dec 26, 2001
I'm driving out to visit a friend in CO this weekend, bringing along the KTM. I did some surfing for OHV parks and trails and there's TONS listed, but I don't know the proximity to Canon City or if they're worth riding, or if they've been burned to a crisp :flame: . I'm a fairly advanced rider, though my friend is, uh, not. ;) So if anyone could point me towards some fun trails or good fireroads it would be really appreciated! :)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
The Texas Creek trail system might be just what you're looking for. On Hwy 50, there's a gas station/diner between Canon City and Cotopaxi. Turn there, go over the river, and park in big parking lot back there a bit. From there you can hit both fire roads and single track. I'd pick up a map at one of the local Pueblo or Colorado Springs motorcycle shops if you want to keep you friend off of the gnarly trails. There's some somewhat tough single track out there. Have fun! Make SURE you got your OHV sticker and a spark arrestor. The forest service folks WILL check you at the parking lot if they're there. Plus, you don't want to start another fire or we'll hunt you down and rope you up. Have a nice day.

AFM744

Dec 26, 2001
CJ-

That sounds just like what I need.

As for spark arrestors and registration, I live and ride in NorCal where the dirtbikes must blow cleaner and quieter than a fresh summer breeze tickling the redwoods, lest the Sierra Club extort our governor to close more Forest. Frankly, I'm on the most politically correct dirtbike (oxy?) available, a Green Sticker KTM 400EXC.

Regarding "roping me up", I thought that was a Texas thing and you Colorado'ers were a little uh, North of that kind of behavior. Having lived in NM, I know!

Thanks for the info!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
LOL; that DID sound a little militant right there, eh? I must be a little jumpy after that evacuation episode during the Haymen fire is all. :flame: 'Hope ya'll enjoy the Texas Creek trails. If ya'll want to come up a little further north, much of the Woodland/Divide and Rampart Range trails systems are open and also quite nice. :)

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey CJ,

If I can swing a weekend day when Doug is here, you want to get together and ride your neck of the woods :flame: ? Bet Doug would like to see what we lost (how 'bout our practice loop?) I know I would!

Any possibility of a Friday afternoon? I think he leaves on the 14th (Sat)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Absolutely on the weekend ride! :) Aren't you getting married on the weekend, though? The new wife would be OK with that? Well then she's very cool and quite the keeper; LOL! I'm also pretty sure I could sneak out for a Friday afternoon ride too; let's just count on it and I'll prepare the fake cough! ;)

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Nope the deed is done, we got married on the 24th (I know hearts are breaking across the country)

We're having the reception on the 7th. Doug comes in on the 7th and leaves on the 14th. Since Sunday the 8th is definatly a "no go" and he's leaving on the following Sat. Guess I was premature in suggesting a weekend :(

Maybe on Friday?

xrincolorado

Mar 25, 2002
CJ-
Did I understand you correctly? Are portions of the Woodland Park/ Divide Trails open? I know Rampart is open since I went there last Saturday, but we would have went to WP had I known it was open. I thought the majority of it burned. WP/Divide is absolutely my favorite place to ride with all the great single track(717) and awsome 4wd roads down to the Platte River. :thumb:

89rmx250

Feb 10, 2000
CJ

How are you getting into the Divide system? I just went yesterday, and it is closed! I usally go into Woodland Park, go about 5 miles up 67 and turn into the trails there. I usally camped on or around Trail Creek Road. The Trail Creek Road there is totally closed, you can't even drive on it. There are 5 foot square signs every where saying that the forest is CLOSED. We drove around the roads for about 30 miles. When you get to the tops of the hills all you can see all around is burnt.

This was my (our) favorite place to ride. When I came home yesterday and showed my seven year old the pictures, he started to cry.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
rmx- Don't turn onto Hwy 67; just keep going west on Hwy 24. After that new section of divided road, there's a new traffic light at CR25 (I think that's the road name). Turn north onto CR25 and take that out for a few miles. There's a parking lot with access to 717a on the north side of CR25 out there a bit. Also... From Hwy 67, we have trail access on the east side of the road from the Rainbow Falls parking lot right there. Good stuff either way. Shhhh.

RampartRaider213

Single Track Maniac Colorado-Utah
Mar 25, 2019
Castle Rock Colorado
I realize this thread is very old. Just FYI - It’s 2019 and the whole area north of Divide is back open, somewhat healed from the fire, and spectacular. Ride 717 loop trail, among many others, and down to the Platte River several times each summer. We love it!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom