Bio_HaZerd

May 7, 2008
Hey guys. I still havn't bought a bike yet and i was wondering a few things.

First I am looking at 2 bikes right now but i'm not sure which would be better for the style of riding i am doing.
One bike is a new 1998 300 mxc ktm. The other is a 1999 kawasaki kx 250. I was wondering which has more snap, I heard the kx would have more which makes me a little bit afraid of it considering this will be my first bike. And some people say get a 125 for starting out on which would be fine with me except i wanna do both trails and mx. and when it comes to climbing, a 125 wont take me anywhere...

I guess what i am asking is what would be a better bike for more mx but some trail riding? from what i am guessing the ktm is a little more rider friendly and trail style but the kawasaki is more power and snap for the mx track but not as nice of a trail rider.

Any help you guys give me will be greatly appriciated. Thank you!

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
hey,
I just bought a 97 kx125 as my first bike and do mostly trail riding. I think you would be fine with a 125 if you wanted one, as I dont have any problem doing steep hills, just stay up on the throttle

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
if you can ride a 125 well you can take it almost anywhere you could take any other bike. a 125 is peaky while a 250/300 will have a more linear power curve with respect to the 125. obviously the most linear will be a four stroke but go two smoke cause my biased opinion says they are the best.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I love KTMs but will say of those 2 bikes and your primary use stating MX the KX will be the better choice (again, between just those 2 bikes). Mainly because it will have the better suspension for MX, and that's what MX is all about (due to the jumps and whoops).

There's a form you should fill out at the top of the which bike that would allow us to give you much more accurate feedback, since we don't know things like your age, height, weight, proximity of dealers, etc.

Bio_HaZerd

May 7, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)6'1'' 220 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Fairly aggressive, but smart enough to not hurt myself
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????About 60/40 60 being mx, 40 being woods hills trails etc.
4) Do you have any riding experience? I rode atvs all my life, and only putted around on dirt bikes.
5) Do you think you will race ? yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? i would like a 4 stroke but money wise ill probably be getting a 2 stroke. I like kawasaki and ktm
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes i have one here, not sure of brands but i plan on buying a used or cheap one off craigslist, my budget isn't huge
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 2,000$ max.
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 16
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. I dont think a 125 will cut it for me when it comes to climbing hills and i was wondering which has more snap and which is a more aggresive bike, a kx 250 or 300mxc. Thank you guys for any help you give me.

Apr 30, 2007
Bio_HaZerd said:
...some people say get a 125 for starting out on which would be fine with me except i wanna do both trails and mx. and when it comes to climbing, a 125 wont take me anywhere...

Ah, that would depend on how big you are/aren't.

If you're above 180-190 lbs or so, and have the inseam for it, go with the kx 250.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Thanks for adding the chart. Either bike will work, especially since that's a pretty even split between track and trail (60/40) and you're certainly big enough.

To me the biggest difference between these 2 brands is they are at opposite ends of the quality spectrum. KTM's last a long time, often looking near new many, many years later, while Kawi's have a reputation for being nearly disposable bikes. In my experience, Kawi parts cost as much as KTM parts, but you replace them a lot more often.

One nice thing about KTM's when you're doing the work yourself (or buying parts) is ktmtalk.com. I suspect if you check that site out you'll learn more to help you with this choice.

Bio_HaZerd

May 7, 2008
Well would a 300 mxc ktm even do good on an mx track? i know a kawasaki would do better but will the ktm even be decent. and i like the durability of ktms thats mainly why i want it a little bit more. and the fact that it rocks for off roading so i have heard. also which has more of an aggressive fell to it. it being my first bike i don't wanna be completely ripped off the bike in first gear...

Top Bottom