2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I dunno. I rode an F7 (also a 175 rotary valve) for a while way back when, and it wasnt much on power, but it was dead stock.

Ive never ridden a modern 250 four, but as for the KE, you can tune the heck out of those old rotary valve motors. (pipe, jets, porting, ground out disc, larger carb and perhaps a skunk works ram tuned intake manifold.LOL...good luck finding that one.) with the right mods, I bet the 175 would not be embarrassed.

Anyhow, its a familiar argument for me. Ive been saying for years that my old rotary valve Kaw could keep up with just about anything on a fire road. HEAVILY modified 350cc F9. Its a beastly tank, but its got some serious grunt!

Nov 21, 2006
2stroke-
Please be careful about using the "G" word around schmanman! I worried he's going to break out a grinder,and go to work on his disc.With no template,and without the correct expansion chamber,porting,and intake,his bike would be,as we say in the Brit bike world,"done & dusted.:yikes:

Those Bighorns were surely Torque Monsters! :cool: They actually handled pretty decent too,once you got some Konis on the back,and a Trickit,spings,and a brace on the forks.In my opinion they were the closest thing Japan had to a real dirt bike,until the YZs and Elsies came along. :nod:

It's a shame there is a whole generation of dirt bikers coming up,who will never know the unequaled rush of riding a big bore two stroke :(

Schmanman-
You should be able to get a universal spark arrestor/muffler,that you can have welded on to the end of your pipe.It won't make your bike any slower.I promise. But it will go a long way toward keeping dirt bikes from being banned in your area! :laugh:
Cheers!
Bruce

Last edited:

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, thanks.

you dont have to worry, If I ever do anything to the rotary valve (which I highly HIGHLY doubt) I will find a template.
would I really need to get a different expansion chamber?

Jan 3, 2007
I found out today that my bike makes 20HP stock. So with my modds i might be pumping out 25 or so. Thats not bad for a light trail bike that is almost 30 years old.

yota, the link seems to not want to work for me.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
czhuskymaico.jpg

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
lucky! I'm kinda short on cash right now, I'm gonna buy a newer 250 2-stroke this summer.

did you know atk (an american company) makes a 700 cc 2-stroke? damn......

john221ex

May 1, 2006
2stroke: I had an F7 (?) 250 which, though it was a bit of a pig was really pretty fast for the time. Unfortunately, I found it was faster than it's brakes while headed toward the edge of a gravel pit! I've never faded brakes on a motorcycle, before, or since.

John
Baltimore

Nov 21, 2006
I don't think anybody actually owns one of those ATK 700s.I did a web search looking for a test,and couldn't find one.I also went on an ATK owners forum,and although there were people asking questions about them,no one was giving any answers. ATK has priced them at $10,000, and that's just a hell of a lot of jack for a dirt bike.Plus,they are kickstart only,and I'm sure that scares a lot of people away.Big bore 2 strokes are no fun when they snap back at you! :yikes: They call that thing the"Intimidator" I'd say the name fits. I'd love to ride one.It's got to be a rocket :laugh:

Cheers!
Bruce

Top Bottom