moto-xtc

Nov 19, 2005
Hello guys, i'm new to this form. Their is prob already a thread on here answering my question but i haven't been able to find it yet. So i was wondering wat kinda of performance and maintance issues arise from ride my bike in the winter? Is it any harder on the engine or components? If so is their anytihng i can do to minimise this. Also my garage is heated so i'm thinking this might help the issue of the engine case expanding and shrinking between start-ups and shut downs.

Thanks for any help

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
I have never had any problems riding my bike in the winter and I do so about everyone. My garage is also heated, and that probably helps. I do know that you will want to put either studded tires on or put carraige bolts in your rear tire along with some kind of liner. I use firehose, but an old tube will work also. Then for the front I use like 1/2 inch sheet metal screws. Pretty cheap and it works well. Good luck.

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
might want to consider jetting the bike to the cold temps,otherwise the potential to run lean is there.Also,fashioning some sort of carb cover to prevent freeze up is advised if riding in lots of wet snow.Gibby's advice is good as well.

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
Yea that's true I forgot the most important part of Jetting. Could be anywhere from just the needle to Main jet and piot jet.

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Hey guys,

I just found out that my bike is road legal with just DOT tires and a mirror. And the insurance is a hell of a lot cheaper than my truck so I was thinking about riding it in the winter except when it gets really slippery. I already planned on changing the jetting. What do you think good idea to ride it everyday in the winter time? It is a 2002 TM 300E

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
as long as the stretches of tarmac aren't endless high speed runs,bike reliabilty will suffer.Also,you'll have to prepare mentally,seriously! That is an important part of cold weather riding on the road.It's 5:30 am and it's well below freezing and you have to get all bundled up and go to work...if it's recreational,ok.

moto-xtc

Nov 19, 2005
Keeping the snow out.

Yes i will have to change the jetting. It should prob be changed now sence it's already pretty damn cold. But about the Air box. I was thinking some sort of screen to keep the wet snow out but it might get clogged? Any ideas?

Thanks again

jonnyriabov

Oct 27, 2005
500 BOY.......You will likely hurt yourself pretty bad if you try to use your bike in the winter as a daily driver, Who cares how cheap your insurance is or how good you can ride.....or how studded your tires are.......You going to get smoked by that guy who just had some drinks and slid on the ice, or by that woman giving her kids heck in the back seat went and spinning out on the ice....

Its just to risky....guys on streetbikes get hit all the time...in ideal conditions....forget winter

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Ya we just had our first snowfall on friday and holy you should have seen how many people went into the ditch, and it was only like an inch. They just don't learn. I think I am still going to ride it on the road, but for only about 8 months of the year. Thanks guys.

-Jared

Top Bottom