WR360 Husky mikuni mounting angle !

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
I was looking at the 2002 husky wr360. The TM series mikuni carby on these is mounted an angle of about 60% to the horizontal. It cannot be mounted upright like other bikes because the engine cases prevent this. It looks like the engineers forgot to consider the carby when they built the engine cases. I wonder what sort of problems this would cause for jetting and accurate float level adjustments.

Actually if bothers me that much that I probably wont buy the bike.

Comments ?

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
The latest WR360 is the best version of the bike so far. Trail Rider really liked the bike and I have read lots of positive reviews from Australia. No carb problems mentioned anywhere with the Mikuni.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
TR the WR360 is a popular bike down here. Ive heard nothing but good reports. Ive not heard of anyone complaining about the carby set up. They are always too busy telling me how it just cruised up that motha hill.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Thanks for the replys. This bike started first kick and then was restarted by hand! It has one of those auto decompression units fitted. Easier to start than a 125. But the carby angle. It just cannot be ideal.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
The 360 I rode was jetted perfectly. I didn't look that closely but the carb setup looked similar to my 250 - and my old 250. No problems with either of them.

If it makes a difference, my 250 has the best suspension of any bike I've ridden.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Bud, the 360 is different to the 250. The 250 is "normal" and runs the TMX quad vent mikuni. The 360 runs the standard TM. I suspect because there is insufficient room for the extra hoses. Husky must have worked out an optimal float level for a carby mounted on such an angle to work correctly. It still bothers me.

Regards.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
The local dealer is mounting the TM on an angle. When straight it rubs on the engine cases. Husky is producing a new inlet mainfold, which will move the carby back just enough to clear the engine cases. When I see it, I will be taking a test ride. Quality looking bike. :D

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I used to work on a lot of these Huskys and the carbs rubbed all the time on the 250/360 sometimes we ground down the cases a very little bit and then put a little rubber patch between the two . We also were making carb reed spacers to pull the carb back a bit that helped the most and increased trhe mid pull on the 250 .What I didnt like about the bikes is that it was vewry hard to change the spark plugs on both models . They were and still are very powerful motors. I couldnt understand why Husky took the triple clamp center stud and bored a hole in the side of it on trhe newer models . We think this let the fuel from the overflow hose (fuel tank) run down and wash the grease off the steeribng bearings. I have seen this on two or three relatively new bikes and these bearings are not cheap . The fix was to find some one inch heat shrink tubing sand cover the hole Then you can install a zerk fitting on the steering head to grease it if youre lazy or are always running in deep waters. CHEERS DEAN

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
DEANSFASTWAY,
thanks for the reply. It suprises me that the magazines did not comment on this problem. In 1998 the Australia Dirt Action magazine did mention this as a negative. In 2002 Sidetrack magazine did not ! The local Husky dealer is adamant that a new manifold can be purchased. I have asked they install it on their demo bike and I will take a test ride. At least this dealer is willing to let one test the ride the bike. No such luck with others. The WR360 is a good looking bike right down to the welding.

regards
TR

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah I used to work on these bikes at a local dealer in New Jersey USA . They were pretty good bikes but didnt really go over too well . Theyhad their share of stupid problems though. The 360 was a strong motor and wed tame it down by running two base gaskets to drop the C/R . I think most of the problem with starting it is that the kickstarter is mounted up high on the motorand its hard to kick when that high. In 98 the 125s were sticking cranks like crazy and the importer in Pa was telling me its because we dont get leaded fuel in tghe states, that was aq real load of crap. I think the woods bikes were more thought over than the MX bikes . But its always easier to make a MX bike into a woods bike . 610s were real hard to start until we figuredout the carb and the faxct that the thing started easier with regular fuel.How are the MX bikes accepted on your country in USA they still havent gone over too well but they have a fledgeling importer and a pretty hot nationaL mx team , good riders(Steve Lamson Etc) just less than stellar results.

Shawn1

Jul 4, 2001
Are there any good Husky sites or forums anyone could recommend. I'm considering a wr250 except that the nearest dealer is 6 hours away.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
DEANFASTWAY, what size reed spacer did you use on the 360 ? What sort of performance change was noticed ? How did you make it ? From my observation the space need only be about 5mm.

Thanks in advance
TR

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
DEANSFASTWAY its the same in Australia. Husky MXers two strokes do not sell in any great numbers. Four bangers do quite well in MX and Enduro range but the WR250/360 have always had a fairly solid following. Ive spoken to numerous owners who have always been very pleased with the performance. But they cannot get their new fourstrokes on the floor or even into the country for that matter. You read tests etc but they never seem to arrive.

Top Bottom