Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
fletcher said:
can you guys tell me what air pressure to put into forks when finished or if any thanks.(and i read a reply of yours ol89r about some simple things to improve performance of these bikes and you said to replace the resistor in the plug cap with a lenght of rod ,QUOTE]

fletcher.

When I ran the stock forks on my XR, I didn't add air to the forks. In fact, I used those air valves to release the air that builds up in the forks. If the spring rate and oil weight and level is correct you don't need to add air.

On the spark plug cap mod, remove the spark plug cap by unscrewing it from the coil high tension lead. Look inside the cap where the spark plug goes and you will see a brass piece with a screwdriver slot in it. Unscrew the brass piece and under it will be a small radio resistor and a spring. Remove the resistor and replace it with a piece of COPPER rod cut the same length as the resistor and approx the same diameter. Put it all back together using the copper rod and the spring.

Before you reinstall the spark plug cap, take a pair of wire cutters and nip about 3/8" off of the end of the spark plug wire. Then screw the plug cap back on. The end of the wire can become oxidated and will make a poor connection.

fletcher

Dec 28, 2006
thanks ol89r, done that and it seems to start better when hot, i have another problem now if anyone can help me, when i rebuilt the motor and got it going , i had trouble with the engine breaking down and back firing when the sec where opening and honda changed the coil for me and it ran perfect, well that was only 2 months ago and its doing it again, can anyone tell me why its burning coils out, not completely burning the coil out as it will still start and run on the primarys perfect , it only breaks down with the sec on, iv changed the sparkplug but still the same {help please}.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
fletcher.

A bad ground/earth on the spark plug can cause a coil to go bad. If the lead connector to the plug was oxidized, it would give you a bad ground. If you fixed that, you shouldn't burn out any more coils. Also, make sure you have a good ground on the coil. No paint under the ground.

If the missing problem still persists, check the jets in the secondary carb and also the intake manifold for cracks. these harden over time and can separate from the aluminum flange that bolts the manifold to the head.

There is also a little reed valve in the head just below the top cover. It is a thin, stainless steel reed that looks like a short feeler gauge. It is held on with two tiny phillips screws. If this is broken or bent, fuel will feed back into the pri carb when you get on the secondary side. If it is bent upwards and not sealing, take it off and turn it up-side-down. If it is broken, replace it.

Top Bottom