Yamaha 1983 IT 175 HELP!!!!!!!!! lol

bradball

Mar 31, 2007
:bang: :bang:

Hi all,

I just got this bike and well...it's a lil crazy right now. It only starts at full choke and rides at full choke. When i shut choke off it dies unless i gas it hard. When i do get it started it idles TOOOO fast at a dangerous rpm. So i start it and get in gear fast! People keep telling me different things to do, i try but i'm new to all this and i'm WRENCH dumb. The carb is cleaned 2x.
Sometimes the throttle sticks. I am having alot of trouble finding parts too. I see alot on **** but they are from diff years and I dont know if they'll work on mine. So till i get real help, i've been ordering cosmetic things to make it look nice but that dont help me ride :(

My cash flow is low so i cant take to a shop yet so i usually buy what i need from e bay. The bike looks awesome LOL just dont run right hahaha I know they'd rape me anyways if I took to a shop. When i got the bike the guy said he had a parts bike for me. I got that bike tday and it's a different year :( diff carb etc.. all i can use is the back fender
the carb has that lil flathead screw and another thumb screw but when i move them they do not seem to do anything. I do have my gas mix right.
Oh..yeah the other day the kill switch stopped working, the bike once riding for awhile would not start either but now the kill switch is working again. Coil bad too? when it gets hot? i dunno i sure hope you smart guys can help me out
ms n is bradball_ at h o t m a i l
ya hoo is swpa_pc_doctor

Thanks In Advance!!!!!!!11

b-rocker

Feb 27, 2007
If you are sure the carb is right,check for an air leak.Is the carb on the manifold
correctly?Does the intake manifold between the carb and the engine o.k.?That's the
next easy thing to check.If the manifold has a crack,I've seen people just silicone
the crack and let it sit a day or so.A new part of course is really the way to go.

1BAD250

Nov 21, 2006
Have you tryed a new plug? & just like yz426f said you need to clean the jets & every hole in the carb. also 2 strokes are vary picky if there is even a sign of water in the fuel they will hit & miss & run like crap pop or not run at all, all the same simtoms your talking about just like a fauled plug..

bradball

Mar 31, 2007
new plug thatboot off the carb to motor is cracked i found another from a parts bike looks the same i hope gonna change that and i was told REEDS are in there and i can buy them tomorrow for 18 bucks at a near shop

i want it running right cause i'm no mechanic so i'm waitnig to paint etc... i drew up a killer blk and gry color scheme no point till running right
if someone is an expert w/ IT 's add me to ur messenger bradball_@hotmail

bradball

Mar 31, 2007
ok....new plug, manifold boot, reeds NOW it sometimes starts w/ choke off but it's still hesitating and boggs out alot u said jets? what the hecks that? lol man..i thought getting a bike was gonna be fun guess not

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
i thought getting a bike was gonna be fun guess not
a 24 year old bike would surely be a challenge.

bradball

Mar 31, 2007
I SEE TONS OF STUFF ON daBAY for bike 80 -81 u guys and gals know of a chart that will let me know if i can use the cdi, coil etc..?

thanks in advance

bradball

Mar 31, 2007
plus i just found a guy selling a bike like mine 83 175 he says it's all good but runs rich and he said mine is lean what does that mean? carb probs?
i'm so confused LOL thanks all

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
has it ever had a new set of rings?
what is your fule to oil mixture- i use 32:1 klotz in my 81kx420-
is the silencer packing all clogged up? clean it-

bradball

Mar 31, 2007
FINALLY!!!!!!!!
I met my girlfriends uncle for Easter and found out he was an old school pro rider. Of course I made him look at my IT. I learned that more hidden parts can come out of a carb than I thought. I found tons of crap in the hidden places, sticks in the petcock screen and added an external fuel filter. The bike runs awesome plus I know how to rebuild a carb finally! :)
Just thought I'd let ya'll know since I keep posting the same questions LOL
THanks all

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom