Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I decided to change the gear oil in the MX175 I bought for my daughter. It was below the dipstick, and I didn't want to mix oils. I drained it (smelling gas on my fingers after removing the drain plug), then put in the recomended amount of oil (80wt. gearsaver).

When I started it, it smoked big time out the pipe! I'm getting tranny oil into the combustion chamber!

Crank seals? A full bottom end rebuild? Dratts! :bang: :bang: :bang:

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
could be crank seal (clutch side) or the seal between the trans/crankcase.
not to bad a job if ya have a manual and some time/mech ability. esp. since its a 2-stroke.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
QKENUF4U said:
could be crank seal (clutch side) or the seal between the trans/crankcase.
not to bad a job if ya have a manual and some time/mech ability. esp. since its a 2-stroke.

That's pretty much what I decided after studying my Clymer for the bike. It's either the right (clutch) crank seal, a failed gasket sealer (no actual gasket on this bike, just non hardening gasket sealer) on the ridge dividing the trans/crankcase, or, worst case, a crack at that ridge in one case half.

I've got the time and mechanical ability, but no good work area. My shop is 11'x7' and used to be my girls' playhouse. It's wired and insulated, and works fine for working around the frame on my roller stool, but my 'work bench' is a 2' high kitchen counter along the short length. It's fine for rebuilding a carb while I sit on my stool, but won't be that good for splitting the cases. I'm probably going to have to clean my basement and build a better bench before I can do it. No more procrastinating on that, I guess.

I keep telling my wife I need to build a garage, but her priorities are different than mine.

Thanks for confirming my take.

Top Bottom