YZ250 2-stroke hard to kick start (for me at least)

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
So I've got a 1988 YZ250, everything on it works fine and it runs fine (when it starts). The issue is I can't seem to kick start it easily, it takes me forever and I just cant seem to get the "trick" down. Everyone but me that has tried to kick start it does it fine. Seriously, one kick and they get it going-- these are all seasoned riders though and I'm just beginning. I can't see what I'm doing differently, I kick just as hard yet it doesn't like to start for me.

My question is, is there anything I can do make it easier? Any tricks I should know about? It just seems like this dirt bike has a soul and it just doesn't like me. I find it so odd that everyone but myself can start it without issue.

I was at Carnegie a week ago, sitting at the snack shop trying to kick start it. I'd say a crowd of about 20 people or so are standing around giving me tips and helping me out, but for the life of me I couldn't start it. A guy walks up, kicks it once and hilarity ensues. Feel my frustration. :bang:

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
So much for tips.

It absolutely was me, but not because I need to do squat thrusts. Just incase someone happens to have the same issue as me, I find that if I twist the throttle twice, then turn on the choke, and get the piston at the top of the compression and just push it down slightly so its a little over TDC, then I lift up and give it a hard kick. Starts just about every time.

This is the second time I've gotten some smug responses relating to newbie questions. I take it this is an elitist forum or something? :whoa:

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
lean it up against a tree or something so you can get a better kick.. also my bike sometimes takes a little blip of the throttle to start when kicking it over.

N3WFI3

Oct 31, 2007
ya leaning the bike on stuff will allow better kicks, it is required to do this on mine not really an option
just slightly open the gas when you kick, if that's not good enough use the choke

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Twisting the throttle has no effect so you can skip that step. If you have to have the throttle cracked, the pilot circuit is probly rich. Don't try to stomp on the kicker, rather, use your body weight to push it through a full stroke. You have the part where you turn it just past tdc right. And no, this isn't an elitist forum, it's just better than all the other ones. There are some elitist folks floating around here who have some great knowledge and good advice. And any bad info is beat down in a hurry. If you want straight forward good advice with no sugar coat, this is it.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. The bike actually has a kick stand and I usually have it down when I'm doing the kicking. I'll keep practicin! I love straight forward advice.. but the two first comments were anything but ;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Is this just when the bike is cold or anytime you try to start it.
I disagree with Joe. If the bike's idle is really low, a bit a throttle IS needed to start. If the compression is keeping you from giving it a sharp kick, you'll need to learn to throw your weight into it. Full, clean kick. Starting the kick just past TDC allows you to get the full down and up stroke of the piston on the kick. You might turn the idle screw in a 1/8 or 1/4 turn until you get the hang of it. You'll want to turn the idle screw back out after starting.
If the compression is not the issue, read thru the jetting link at the top of this forum and get the bike jetted properly. You'll like the way it runs when it is jetted right.
The choke may be necessary on a cold start but should not be needed when at operating temperature. Again, jetting is the key factor. Technique is really not as important, granted your not having problems overcoming the compression.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
When its warmed up it seems to start much easier and I have better luck, so yeah mostly when its cold. But generally it is hard to start. I'm gonna go riding tomorrow and I'll put these suggestions to work, thanks again guys I appreciate the help!

ttoks

May 1, 2008
my brother has a similar problem starting my RM 250, he kicks it over, fine, no start, his big problem is he tries to bunny kick it, short sharp stab at the kick starter, you need to use your weight.

and more often then not you should be able to start a 2 stroke without choke, and more often then not you have to crack the throttle, i start of kicking over no choke full throttle, if it doesn't start, i use half throttle, if it still doesn't start i just crack it a little bit when i kick it, still no start then i sue the choke (fuel off the whole time..) same process, a little throttle is more often then not needed to start a two stroke, and if you use choke, as soon as it's running turn it off, if your running rich you certainly don't need choke.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, Bswift makes a good point about the idle. See, someone will always step and correct! How does it idle once running?

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Just picked up the trailer so were gonna be heading out soon. I think I do the bunny kick, I'll try to just use my weight. My main issue is keeping the lever all the way down, it seems like I kick through but at the end I don't keep it down (kind of bouncing back up an inch instead of staying completely down). Thanks for the link!

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Definitely was technique. Spent all day riding yesterday and I never had to kick more than twice. I just slowly push the kicker about 80% down then lift it back up and give it a nice hard kick and boom it starts right up.

Running great too, but I ate it pretty hard. Was trying to do a wheelie and didn't expect it to kick up so hard and I flipped backwards. Ended up snapping off the left pedal and shifter and cracked the back fender in pieces :(

I replaced the shifter but now I gotta get a pedal :) Oh well, I'm just glad I know how to start it now ;) Thanks for the tips guys.

EDIT: took a pic (bad cell phone, ick):

05-26-08_0844.jpg

Last edited:

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
So I've got a 1988 YZ250, everything on it works fine and it runs fine (when it starts). The issue is I can't seem to kick start it easily, it takes me forever and I just cant seem to get the "trick" down. Everyone but me that has tried to kick start it does it fine. Seriously, one kick and they get it going-- these are all seasoned riders though and I'm just beginning. I can't see what I'm doing differently, I kick just as hard yet it doesn't like to start for me.

My question is, is there anything I can do make it easier? Any tricks I should know about? It just seems like this dirt bike has a soul and it just doesn't like me. I find it so odd that everyone but myself can start it without issue.

I was at Carnegie a week ago, sitting at the snack shop trying to kick start it. I'd say a crowd of about 20 people or so are standing around giving me tips and helping me out, but for the life of me I couldn't start it. A guy walks up, kicks it once and hilarity ensues. Feel my frustration. :bang:
He long gone now! LOL! Uh, kick starting a bike is as important as riding, no run no ride. LOL! Lets see, 2fiddy 2 stroke, roll the starter with your tootsie until its get to top dead center, that's when mr piston get tight up in dat combustion chamber. The kick starter will tell you a story about resistance, once its nice and solid, give it a good boot, and if you have your choke set and fuel petcock on you in da bidness. LOL, funny old post. I start to wonder if folks should really own motor-cycles iffin they cant figure em out, Haaa! 9dd7d1ec53dd8444b0b6e0a3e4764afb.jpg

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Definitely was technique. Spent all day riding yesterday and I never had to kick more than twice. I just slowly push the kicker about 80% down then lift it back up and give it a nice hard kick and boom it starts right up.

Running great too, but I ate it pretty hard. Was trying to do a wheelie and didn't expect it to kick up so hard and I flipped backwards. Ended up snapping off the left pedal and shifter and cracked the back fender in pieces :(

I replaced the shifter but now I gotta get a pedal :) Oh well, I'm just glad I know how to start it now ;) Thanks for the tips guys.

EDIT: took a pic (bad cell phone, ick):

05-26-08_0844.jpg
Blue seat? If it has inverted forks, if it is 89 an up it could be a rare WR-250, good grief man, restore that machine! It is one awesome ride! Wow! 75.jpg Old post, I know, but if he kept it, man o' man!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom